Search Unity

Windows Phone - long loading time ?!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Pav3l_, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Pav3l_

Pav3l_

Hi guys,

I'm new to Unity and currently developing simple arcade game intended for mobile. I have Lumia 920 with Windows 10 (build 10.0.10586.29) and last few days was testing with Unity 5.2.4 Personal with debug on using VS 2013, so loading time of about 15 seconds wasn't really a surprise as it loads a lot o debugging stuff. I was really surprised when I have switched to Master and loading time was about 12 seconds (as loading time I mean from clicking on app to showing first screen). I know Lumia 920 isn't new and speed daemon, but come on, 12 seconds ?!

To be sure I have made some testing, with scene with one square, one light, export : Phone 8.1.

Unity 4.7.0 : 7 s (logo on 2s mark)
    Unity 5.2.1 : 10s (logo on 5s mark)
    Unity 5.3.1 : 10s (logo on 5s mark, which mean my simple scene loads in approx. 2 seconds, which is way to long for such not complicated scene)

Does this seem right ? Could someone more experienced in this matter give an opinion? How is this supposed to pass certification ?! Does Unity 5.1.x is faster on WP?

I read here that Unity 5.x branch is kinda broken on mobile and have huge performance hit compared to 4.6.x, but unfortunately I have learned this after I have started developing and I'm nearly finished with my product with Unity 5.x.
    Can someone advice me on that matter?

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It really depends on your game and what you're loading.

Are you testing the loading time when launching from the phone, or via Visual Studio? Visual Studio adds a huge amount of time to startup.

3. Pav3l_

Pav3l_

Yes Tautvydas , I know it depends on the game, but as I said, loading time is for one scene with one light and a cube to render it. So for such small scene loading time shouldn't be near 10 seconds mark. I test it without VS connected to the phone. Project deployed with Master, and disconnected form PC. It is not a development build!

4. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I'll be writing some documentation on how to profile these things to find out what's taking time to load. Since there were many performance complaints recently, and there's little documentation on how to profile Windows Phones with native profilers, I figured it would be useful.

Unity splash screen currently takes 4.3 seconds. It also takes around 1.5 - 2 secs for XAML to load to even start loading Unity. Those are general costs are common to many games. Further than that, I cannot tell you what the rest of the loading time consists of without giving it a more detailed look.

5. Pav3l_

Pav3l_

Thank you, I'm looking forward for your documentation! Once it is up I will investigate further my issue.