Search Unity

Windows or Mac — unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AnimalMan, Nov 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I am about to buy a new PC am experienced unity user for 4 years and am dependent somewhat on its infrastructure for development.
    Windows 10 is for me unreliable, and has never functioned as advertised since I bought this PC, so I am willing to jump operating system, with only the one exception —- I don’t want to quit unity.

is unity the same on Mac operating system?
    Any experienced user with different operating systems with unity could enlighten me to some problems you face with operating system would be appreciated

Thanks

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

In what sense windowa is unreliable?
    As a developer that is rather poor excuse to be honest. Considering Unity can crash multiple times a day.

But if anything, do you consider to sacrifice performance and flexibility, while choosing mac? You can get far better desktop for the sme money.

Your options are also Linux.

I know there were problems with integration of Visual Studio with mac in the past. But if that has been resolved, you may need to search, what other users saying.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

What led you to conclude it was Windows and not the PC?

Joe-Censored and Antypodish like this.
  4. neginfinity

neginfinity

It reminds me of situaiton when years ago I've tried to ditch windows in favor of linux system. It turned out that I was very dependent on windows software, and my primary skills were tied to windows programming. When I found myself investigating how to cross-compile and debug windows program on linux, I realized that something is strange and eventually gave up on the idea.

As far as I'm aware you're required to own a mac if you want to develop for iOS and I worked with people who were mostly on mac os, so this can be done.

I'm not the OP, but on my system there were many times where the system itself tried to commit suicide during update, that's on ultimate editiong. So someone being fed up with quirks in case of windows OS is not very surprising.

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I am primarily a Mac user. I do have a windows box and have used Unity on it for VR stuff. There really is no difference. I don't enjoy using Windows, but I haven't found it unreliable. As others mentioned, if your box is unreliable, it might be something you want to look into before replacing your computer.

Antypodish likes this.
  6. spiney199

spiney199

With the nature of Windows and its registry, it does have the potential to become unstable over time. Note I say potential, as it doesn't always happen, and you can have a install of windows that remains stable over many years.

Often issues can be solved with a fresh install. And I mean fresher than the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. New drive, new OS install, and a fresh install of all your programs. These days it shouldn't be uncommon to do a fresh install of windows on a PC 2-3 times throughout its life.

7. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I bought my pc a number of years ago when windows 10 was fresh, and windows corrupted itself a long time ago, my experience with windows is that if I try to reset to factory settings I am put on a good 3 hour waiting time only to be rejected at the end of it and have the system undo changes and revert me back to my corrupted operating system, windows update has broken and just displays the message come back later (no joke). I was told windows 10 was the last windows operating system. I am sick and tired of the Google spam of windows problems that send me on a wild goose chase. On top of this, Microsoft own my email address which is connected to my laptop, which is connected to my office, and microsoft decided to change my password and require authentication via the validation of an old email address I can’t access it an old phone number I can’t access and thus has blocked me from using any Microsoft service on my computer. And so at this point. I am 100% finished with microsoft.

I just want to try something different because additionally there is no way to contact Microsoft about anything only a previously answered questions troll list is available i figure because it’s a stock market company with no actual definitive, accountable or dependable owner so it’s just an unskilled gamblers pay pig in the end so to speak.

8. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I am interested as Mac will allow me to run both operating systems but macs are not always available in the specs we want but am sure I could find something. I look at that cpu ghz output multiplied by processor count, with huge ram capacity.

it’s important to note I will still own functional Microsoft Windows machines, but I will be intending to transfer the bulk of my dev work to a Mac machine. I will always have the windows to test on, I just won’t keep my valuables on it I think.

if anyone understands this, please :D

9. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

In short - I conclude Microsoft doesn’t have the infrastructure to properly support its customers throughout any of its services.
    NVidia control panel is now exclusive to windows store so on a corrupt windows machine that can’t access windows store you can’t even use your own graphics card.
    I conclude Microsoft does not have no longer has the infrastructure required to support its customers. However I know from my iPhone that Mac indeed does still have that customer support infrastructure.

10. PizzaPie

PizzaPie

No (proper) visual studio. Rider is a good option but is not free.

You probably mean restore and yeah most times it will make a big mess if have not been setup properly in advance. Format is the revert to factory settings equivalent.

11. neginfinity

neginfinity

I think VS Code is available.

Joe-Censored and PizzaPie like this.
  12. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

Visual studio is available on Mac yes I did some research. Unity is also available and so is blender which at the moment are my primary tools along with visual studio 2017, I believe is on Mac.

I do think windows can work and for some time, but there’s no guarantee after 1 year that the windows system will be stable and what I buy will come with windows 11 upgrade. And so either way I consider it’s a stab in the dark. I jump ship with security that unity and 3D modelling works the same, and il have to grasp the Mac interface or a basically rebuy the 2021 version of what I pretty much already have just with double the ram. And I wouldn’t need to rebuy what I already have if not for the behaviours of the windows operating system throughout the windows 10 constant forced updates and claim of final edition only one you’ll ever need and then abandon in less than 3 years. It’s unstable as a company and it’s all rolling updates from here out and these introduce bugs or harness system resources in generally speaking unusual ways. And again the only help available come from independent advisors on official microsoft forums, or else wait for the next update. Idk.

it’s a tough decision, but Mac atm is swaying me, I am also aware how hard it is to dev for iOS when you don’t own a Mac. And that initially frustrated me about apple, but after few years with this iOS the idea of getting a Mac has grown on me.

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

It looks like either OP bought faulty hardware, or installation of windows was incorrectly proceeded. OP should really format the drive and install all a fresh. No factory resets.
    More often, pc ready bought in a shop, are not the best or optimal configurations for the spent money. Often happens, hardware sold is using some odd versions of components, which are not easily sold separately. Specially sold for less experienced PC users, with limited hardware knowledge.

Did OP run any hardware diagnostics at all?

If anything, I would checkout, if hard drive, or SSD is healthy. If is corrupted, or having faulty sectors, no revert to factory setting will help. Need to mark these sectors as inaccessible. Or replace the drive.

Allowing to tie yourself to one email service is only own doing. No one is forcing anyone, to use such services. I doubt MS did change randomly password, without any notification.

If anything, OP is more upset about MS services rather a hardware. As alreadyentioned, OP could try install Linux, with little to no cost. It is really no braner, to spend money on hardware, just because one software doesn't work as expected.

It is also hard to imagine for me issues that OP is describing. I use MS windows at least since version 95, including DOS. I had worked on most of Windows iterations. Yet managed to stay away from linking most important services to MS via email. Windows platforms are not ideal, but late iterations are rather stable, if not messing too much with inner guts, or installing some od software.
    I had Windows machines run for years without needing format, or reinstall. And I do install a tons of various software on it.

While windows is not perfect, many issues can be resolved mostly with few options. And sometimes with a bit of reading. Including how to stop annoying win notifications, cortana, or even updates.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  14. ROFL. You really need to read up on Apple then...
    And that's basically MonoDevelop and most Mac users are complaining about it.

Also, if you will use your brand new Mac primarily for Unity development, you may want to think about a better timing. I wouldn't switch right now. (Although I wouldn't switch at all, I hate OSX and the crappy laptops they sell as MacBook Pros, but that's just me)
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/now-available-native-apple-silicon-editor-preview-builds.1122712/

Rodolfo-Rubens and Joe-Censored like this.
  15. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Yeah this all sounds totally crazy to me. I am not a technical guy by any means but my windows pc has been absolutely reliable since I built it in 2017.

Perhaps money is an issue so it's not possible to build a new one, but all this talk about in depth diagnostics sounds like a real nightmare to me.

To make games you got to have a reliable machine that just works. I think if you start with a new computer and avoid downloading questionable stuff it should just work... year in and year out. It has for me at least.

I dont think the operating system is an issue. Both apple and windows are super mature systems and millions of people are using it daily. If reliability after one year of use was an issue they wouldn't be the giants that they are.

Antypodish likes this.
  16. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

My email address was not originally owned by Microsoft in the early 2000s when it was created.

i think is better to have both machines try the Mac if I can’t get it working with unity, VS, blender —- send it back for a refund. Simple really.

I grew up in 1990s with a windows 95 machine. To windows 98 2000 XP vista windows 7, windows 8, windows 10, and if I go ahead and buy an all round better machine than what I have it’ll be windows 11, unless I drop out and go Mac. As with Mac you can develop for both windows and iOS but with windows you cannot really develop for a Mac. You can only stream the app to the phone never pass the file. Because Mac deny the passing of all files that are not jpeg between windows and Mac.

17. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

Also Mac are making all of the components for the machine, and if the spec is the same or an improvement on what I already have and I can run all my familiar software, ctrl c ctrl v select lettering lol delete lettering. Write code and test game. If all of this is equally functional and the machine is safer, I’d be an idiot to continue on windows.

What I mean is - Mac doesn’t contain a graphics card with a special name but instead makes its own graphics card. Mac are not sold as gaming laptop, but they do have equal sometimes better spec. This intrigue me

18. Antypodish

Antypodish

Surely wind 10, or 11 are much more reliable, than win vista and 8 combined together.
    But if you are so inclined for mac, why you even asking us, which one to take, win, or mac.
    Just go with mac, if you feel for and got money to spend.
    I don't see further point in this discussion.

Or you just came to randomly rumble here?

Taking all blindly advice from MS probably is not smartest way. But that what it is, for people which are not tech savy. Obviously they will try make their customers, to use their services as much as possible. They could probably sell a pig, and convince that will help running the PC. In fact mac is doing that but much better :D.
    Yet reading a bit of an Internet, already gives many of answers, within a reach of few clicks.

And of course you did compare competitive hardware in the same price bracket...

19. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

Imagine paying monthly for office 365 and then being unable to communicate with Microsoft due to its costumer service approach. And having to ask your bank to cancel all ongoing payments to Microsoft because of a complete inability to communicate with them. Am also not a fan of the work in progress nature of windows 10 and 11, the idea of windows ensnaring me or trapping me into a new monopoly, btw November 2021 is when NVidia became exclusive to windows, whatever is planned for windows 11 i do not know. Will it feel like a finished product? Will it ever be hacked? Will it corrupt my data? If at the first sight the pc is under performing because of operating system can I quickly resolve this with the manufacturer?
    Am sorry just makes me so mad. Hoping somebody turns around and says steam doesn’t work on Mac. But hey. Idk. I won’t know until I’ve spent the money I guess.

20. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I feel Microsoft deliberately driving me away to reduce the share cost value so whoever this employee is can pick an optimal moment to buy his way back in and increase quality of operating system as a result. Along with his cheaply purchased shares Idk and then cycle continues.

maybe am crazy

21. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

Metaphorically speaking, Would you eat a slice of cake at a party after that everybody at the party had touched or breathed on it?

more so would you fetch a cherry and some sprinkles and try to make that slice of cake more appealing?

And may I ask who made this cake - I am referred to the frequently asked questions.

22. Marble

Marble

I'm primarily a Mac user – I love the workflow and environment. It's still necessary for me (and, I'd think, any professional) to have a Windows machine around, though. There are too many game dev applications like VR, NVIDIA-exclusive technologies, second-class support for Unreal from Epic on macOS, Photogrammetry tools, etc, that keep me from being able to fully live in the environment.

The new Apple Silicon hardware is insanely fast and native application support for it is pretty good (Unity, Blender, Creative Suite, etc), but note that at the moment it can't dual-boot Windows, which used to be a selling point for game developers using macOS. I saw you mention having access to both operating systems as a perk; at this point I personally wouldn't pick up an old Intel Mac, though. It's just too huge a leap.

23. neginfinity

neginfinity

The OP can also be unlucky. Windows OS can behave in mysterious way on a particular configuration, which would not mean that configuration itself is faulty.

Windows OS itself is not good. The reason to use it is because everyone is using that. But if a replacement was easily available and could run existing windows software, quite a lot of people would jump ship.

24. Ryiah

Ryiah

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MonoDevelop#Visual_Studio_for_Mac

I have never had a serious problem with Windows 10. I have had my share of oddities from the operating system but nothing that would make me conclude it isn't good. I chalk this up largely to the fact that I don't buy PCs but instead build them from scratch with quality components I know work well with the OS.

Based on the posts I strongly believe the culprit here is the PC not the OS. I have never seen Windows corrupt itself but I have seen a failing storage drive corrupt the data on it countless times. But it's very clear to me that the OP thinks they know the answer just like they think they know that the real Visual Studio is on macOS and won't listen.

Returning to the topic of operating systems you aren't going to magically see all of your problems and the oddities you encounter disappear by switching to macOS or Linux. Apple has had tons of problems like the butterfly keys that constantly failed and while they've left that behind they're now dealing with Bluetooth trouble.

Antypodish likes this.
  25. Maybe, but I mainly think OP is dreamer. And never seen a working Mac in their life.

Only those who haven't seen a Mac upclose would think that in Macworld everything is pink and fluffy and secure (?!) just like that.
    In the mean time, viruses and especially trojans are out for OSX users more than ever, the "no one uses OSX, so no one is writing virus for it" is no longer an excuse.
    The legendary OSX reliability is in shambles, Windows 10 (on random hardware) is more reliable than most of the versions on OSX (on limited hardware) lately (but they are head to head at best).
    The hardware is sometimes okay, sometimes crappy beyond imagination, depends on the year (like wine, you know).
    The M1 is great hardware, they say, so I'm curious when will Apple pull another peeling screen or failing keyboard cheap shot. Because Apple isn't the bestest, mostly most in-cash rich company on Earth, they need to save that extra $2 on the $1500 worth but $3000 priced laptop...

26. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

For the price I’d pay for a Mac with better specs than my current, I could buy a windows of equal spec and crappy Mac for the same price.

So the option to go with what I know, and try a little one exists; but that exacerbates what to do if I find out the Mac is fantastic.

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

One important factor to be aware of with your research is that a lot of articles will mention external GPUs but support for those is not in the latest hardware so you will have to depend completely on the internal GPU.

Performance-wise the base M1's GPU is at best the performance of a GTX 1650. The M1 Pro varies between 1650 Super and 1660 Ti depending on whether you buy 14- or 16-core. The M1 Max varies between RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 depending on whether you buy 24- or 32-core.

28. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

I could take the original to a repair shop and replace these components and start a new yes, with some fresh memory and fresh storage in there refurbed, get a price on that, and then decide to get the Mac to both produce the iOS files on, and to potentially switch to permanently if it turns out to be better for me.

If I could replace my faulty stuff with brand new stuff for less than 200 I could potentially have both in full operation.

29. neginfinity

neginfinity

I had plenty.

For example:
    * 2-30 second long freezes (complete freeze with cursor unmoving) every couple of minutes while computer is active (solved by switching ssd mode in bios, completely undocumented anywhere and near impossible to diagnose).
    * Service responsible for microsoft store devours all system RAM in a few hours of work, killing the OS in the process after an update. (Roll back, pause updates for half a year) The devoured RAM was non-swappable, meaning the physical available memory would run out.
    * Update changes my profile folder without permission to another one.
    * Update gets stuck at certain percent and does not advance (some people report the update can remain in this state for days)

Smaller ones:
    * The system installs wrong language and it is impossible to remove. (requires registry edit)
    * The system erases language switching hotkeys at random. (requires registry edit)
    * Calculator break after an update and refuses to start (requires a very complex PowershellQuery to partially fix)
    * Interruption of work by sudden update installation.

I had seen this plenty of times, to the point where I believe it is a normal behavior of windows OS. Another normal behavior is to slow down with age. I was especially unhappy when I bought Ultimate and the experience was still garbage. And the reason why I had to get Ultimate because at that point Microsoft store wouldn't let me install language pack I want. They supposedly changed that policy after I bought it.

There are also poor practices like constantly trying to lock people into something, adverts, etc.

Long story short, this is not an OS I want to use and not an OS I even like. The development is focused on some garbage and not on features I enjoy or need. But it is something I have on my computer because a lot of software is dependent on it and I need that software to run. Regarding updates, at the moment I'm treating every update as a possible suicide attempt by OS. I had poor experience with that in the past.

30. AnimalMan

AnimalMan

My system had installed candy crush, and a bunch of other strange niche apps and games. I think there was once a check box to let the Microsoft store automatically download stuff.

my laptop will also burn a lot of heat on wake from sleep, so even if the lid is shut and the mouse slightly moves it activates some kind of high usage cpu and ram intensive process, and starts to burn itself at high temperatures unless I unplug the mouse or the power cable.

This was not only my system but I noticed it on my mothers laptop a few weeks ago when she was not in the room, it would function operate make noises and run fan speed very high. The task manager on her cpu showed same deal as my cpu chaos inside the task manager

31. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

This rambled way off topic. A vs. B threads are generally not allowed, especially if they don't relate to Unity. Closed.

Antypodish likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.