Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows Mixed Reality - No StandaloneWindows64 Build Target Support?

Discussion in 'Windows Mixed Reality' started by Pithos, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Pithos

Pithos

Hi,

I'd like to ask about getting support for StandaloneWindows64 support for Windows Mixed Reality headsets.

Clearly, it's technically possible, as the Unity Editor (not a Windows Store / Universal Windows app) supports running on the WMR headsets.

I've asked Microsoft in the past, and they've confirmed that, as the Unity Editor shows, it is possible.

Making a StandaloneWindows64 build has numerous advantages - These builds are easier to create - no issues with signing to worry about. Distribution of test builds is easier. Also, Hardware.... While it might work (haven't tested yet) certain other pieces of hardware I have (specifically the Zed Mini camera) only claim to support that build platform. (Even if it worked, I wouldn't want to have to go to their support if I have a problem, only to say I'm running on an unsupported platform.)

Using SteamVR is what I'm doing instead right now, but... That has it's own issues. Haptics for WMR aren't supported through SteamVR yet (coming soon - windows insider - slow/fast ring builds) but that has it's own issues I'd rather avoid (like when WMR stopped working completely in those builds recently).

Honestly, just having the editor's direct support for WMR headsets added to the StandaloneWindows64 player would solve a bunch of issues and make my life easier. So, please, Unity? :)

Thanks,
    AR