Search Unity

Windows immersive MR without UWP

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by klutzgames, Nov 6, 2017.

1. klutzgames

klutzgames

I think the new immersive Windows Mixed Reality headsets are great. On the other hand, for me UWP is just annoying.
    For example I want to develop applications that can freely access files without sandboxing.
    As far as I understand, currently Unity requires to build for UWP if you want to use the immersive headsets.
    Is there perhaps a work around to use the headsets without building for UWP?

Thanks a lot!

2. GameDevCouple_I

GameDevCouple_I

Not currently. UWP is not all that bad, sandboxing is a common practise on consoles and mobile so getting used to it for pc will make any possible porting easier.

3. Gruguir

Gruguir

If this is an option for you, you can already use Windows MR headset on OpenVR sdk through 'Windows Mixed Reality Steam VR preview'.

4. klutzgames

klutzgames

I was looking into that but as far as I understood it is still a closed preview, or?
    I guess I will then just have to wait until it goes public.

5. klutzgames

klutzgames

I think this is ok when you develop a game but Unity is meanwhile also used for other applications and then UWP is not always an option.

6. Pithos

Pithos

Given that the Unity Editor (not a UWP app) works directly with the Mixed Reality headsets, it's certainly possible to write an app that uses the headsets without UWP. Microsoft wants everyone to move to UWP though, and Unity appears to be supporting that by making UWP builds the only option.

Add me to the list of people who would like to have the Unity Editor WMR support in the basic standalone windows Unity Player. :)

andre-ivankio likes this.
  7. Gruguir

Gruguir

If it's not already done, you'll have to fill out the form here https://aka.ms/iwantmr? . If you are already into the program then try to ask Microsoft MR team directly.

8. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

Did anything change since this was discussed? SteamVR is not viable for business use, but the still immature UWP and Visual Studio workflow are incompatible with very functional Unity's plugins like Bolt or even Playmaker. With long build times and little data online other than Microsoft's scrambled documentation I need a way out, I can't add months to this project.