Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows IL2CPP and stack traces

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by Hertzole, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Hertzole

Hertzole

Hello

I'm playing around with building for IL2CPP and everything seems to go just fine... until I actually hit an error, well sometimes. In the development console and in the log files it targets the function that an error appeared in but the exact line is another story. I don't know the exact term but I believe it's just pointing to a memory address. So how can I decode these stack traces?

I am also using performance reporting (which will be the main target for me to see errors and not log files) and it's the same story there. I thought I could upload the SymbolMap file that is being created and then it would do something with that, but I was apparently mistaken.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please post the stacktrace?

3. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

We don’t have support for source code line numbers in IL2CPP stack traces. This information will add a good bit of size to the application package, but it might be something we could consider as an optional feature.

Is the debugging information worth a size increase in your case?

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Definitely useful for a development build. Our QA is testing mostly development builds and having line numbers would make stack-traces, that are attached to a bug-report, way more useful.

EDIT: By the way, you could strip all the "C:/buildslave/unity/build/" paths (keep only the relative path from that location) to reduce memory and make those stack-traces even easier to read.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Ok, I'll see if this is something we can do. No promises yet, but it should be possible.

Peter77 likes this.
  6. Hertzole

Hertzole

This is from just throwing an exception by myself. It's nothing exciting.

MainMenuManager.Start () (at <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0)

As Peter77 said, it would be really useful when doing beta/test releases. Sometimes IL2CPP brings on a few new problems and when the problems strike on another person's computer, it might be hard to debug just going from the stack trace given. So an optional feature that includes more detailed stack traces by sacrificing build size would be very awesome!

JoshPeterson likes this.