Search Unity

Windows desktop changing window mode not respected in build

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by shaderbytes, Sep 1, 2018.

1. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Hi All

So as the title says changing window mode in the player settings and re publish is not respected , I have read the settings are in the registry , I found them and if I delete them then no problem , if I dont delete them then running the new build with changed windowed settings still uses the settings of the previous build. Unity needs to invalidate these settings in the registry when something has changed.

Even more bizarre , if you push something to the second display while the game is running , it also messes up these settings and the next time you run the game it opens with completely wrong size and mode..

I dont need to supply any test files .. this always happens and has been like this for many versions of unity.. somebody who knows what they are doing just needs to look at the relevant code and make the edits to fix it ;)

2. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

bump , hello Unity please respond , both of these are glaring bugs . the latter has in fact been a bug ever since you introduced multiple displays on cameras. Just activate the second display and have some camera render something on it and you will see it messes up the window mode and window size the next time you launch the game.. every time. Both my monitors are native HD 16:9

3. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

While im at it, Display.displays.length always return 1 in the editor , only returns the proper length in the actual build. Unity 2018.2.2f1 (64-bit) - it also a known issue , also been like this for many versions of Unity. So that's three bugs. What use is it to make beautiful demos to show how cool the engine is .. and in reality trying to actually use it for anything practical is littered with show stopping bugs. Stop making new stuff , and first fix the bugs.

If you think im being unreasonable , I reported not being able to use multiple shift keys years ago , it was confirmed , reported and nothing , I had to keep complaining and then both the ctrl keys started doing the same bad behaviour, I had to complain again and report and you then just fixed the ctrl keys .. the shift keys are still broken.

from 2013 already:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-3-5-7f6-dual-shift-key-bug.178942/

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...istered-incorrectly-when-using-dual-shift-key
    as mentioned i got some traction when the ctrl keys bugged out , but reported back that the shift keys were still broken :

https://forum.unity.com/threads/dual-ctrl-keys-not-working.499837/#post-3362898

here is the multi display bug post .. a while back as well

https://forum.unity.com/threads/dis...ses-bug-on-game-relaunch.462607/#post-3014038

While you may not think this is a serious issue , I build pinball sims in Unity and the current standard across multiple engines and developers is to use the shift keys for flippers. Thousands of people build virtual cabinets to play these sims and have to map physical buttons to keyboard keys. So all the other engines work without problems .. except Unity because i cant use shift keys and people have to remap the virtual machines to play your game.. like I said show stopper. The Multiple display thing is just as bad , these cabinets use 2 or 3 displays one for the playfield and others for the backbox and dmd etc .. so sending an image to a second display at a minimum is essential, but since this breaks the game launching every time , again show stopper.

This may be a niche market , but those thousands of players are all dads and grampa's - many with children .. it does not do unity any good when I cant even get one build to work properly on a cabinet. This leaves a bad name for your engine and im sure they will pass that negative status quo on to their kids and grand kids. "It looks great but cant be used in reality" is what they will be saying

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  4. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

bump , I discovered that it you clear the player prefs on application quit then you dont have the issue with this mentioned above , so there is a solid clue on how to fix this issue, something bad is written to the player prefs when using the multi display options , and when a game launches these bad settings are then parsed. Thankfully I dont use the player prefs for anything so it is not an issue for me to clear them on application quit , for others that do use it .. this remains a problem.