Search Unity

Windows build

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by yellowlabrador, Sep 23, 2006.

1. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

Hey All,

How do I edit the windows build game?

Like in OS X I can right click the app to edit the contents and add my icons etc.

Thanks
    Ray

2. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

3. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

That's quick!

Thanks Aras

4. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

theres a lot to choose and I don't know what I'm doing.
    Is there a way to edit it in IB. if not, what do you reccommend

Thanks,
    Ray

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Interface Builder is for editing resources of Cocoa applications. The windows executable quite naturally is not a Cocoa application (and in fact you can edit less stuff, basically just change icons and tweak dialog layout).

6. yellowlabrador

yellowlabrador

The only resource I can edit is the .exe file.

Am I correct here?.

If I change the icon, the unity icon will be replaced with a game icon.
    And the only thing that's going to be left that mentions Unity is on the file version, (if I leave it.) and if I actually type Unity etc. etc. as well as my info. on the dialog folders.

Also on the windows build of the game, no Ageia or the other stuff that's included in the OS X build of the game.

I downloaded a trial version of a resource editor http://www.bome.com and trying to learn how to use it.

Any ideas on how to edit the resource file the easy way?. (Ala OS X editing, :wink: )

Thanks,
    Ray

7. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The only thing I've ever changed in an .EXE is the icon using "XN Resource Editor" ( http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm ). The one thing I can tell you is that the icon files have to be -exactly- like the files you are replacing (bitmap size, name, etc). I've only had to do this a few times, so can't say I'm an "expert" on the subject. Hope this helps.

8. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes, all resources in windows executable are directly in the .exe file. That's why you need specialized resource editors for; and because it's directly in the .exe file there's very limited changes that you can do. So yeah, you can change the icon and change the version info.

Windows players don't have the "about" dialog, so there's just nowhere to put the logotypes :)