Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 8 development setup

Discussion in 'Windows' started by theHost, Jul 22, 2013.

1. theHost

theHost

I currently use win 7 for desktop development with Unity. Just wondering what other devs are doing in terms of setup for their development on win 8.

I'm thinking of installing win 8 on a 2nd partition and dual boot it on the same machine as my current win 7. I believe I'll need the OEM 'Builder' version of win 8 for this.

Also, am I able to register another installation of Unity Pro on this machine? I currently have it registered already for win 7, and another one on my Macbook Pro. So I wonder if I'll be able to register a 3rd time even though it is on the same machine as the win 7 installation.

2. tswalker

tswalker

you must have windows 8 running and use visual studio 2012 or greater... those are the baseline requirements for W8 development. you could probably run in in a VM, but the performance would stink.

3. Meltdown

Meltdown

Since it is the same physical machine and you are the only developer using this machine then yes you can install it with no problems.

4. MrMetwurst2

MrMetwurst2

Can you use the Express version of Visual Studio 2012?

5. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Yes, Visual Studio 2012 Express for Windows 8

6. alicemenezes

alicemenezes

Hello,

Yes surely use Express version of visual studio 2012.

Thanks

7. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

There are different versions of Visual Studio 2012 Express... Make sure you're using the right one.

8. fanjules

fanjules

I have checked with support and they tell me that's not acceptable and I would need to buy second licenses.

Not very practical, forcing all Windows developers to upgrade to Windows 8.

9. kiriihmete

kiriihmete

couldn't you just return the license for windows 7 version and apply it to windows 8 instead?

10. fanjules

fanjules

Of course you could. But there's plenty of developers entrenched in their Windows 7 systems, not necessarily through stubbornness to move to the latest (controversial) OS but because moving to a new OS is such a big deal. It's like formatting your hard drive and starting over, major disruption. Maybe if you only use Unity and nothing else the move is easier, but I travel a lot and so everything has to go on one machine... Adobe Master Collection, various programming environments, mapping software, the list goes on. All of which needs to be setup. Again, major disruption - and all because of a little licensing issue.

And in my experience, upgrading to a new OS is best done when you buy a new computer - so then there's the cost issue. Particularly if your Windows 7 rig is pretty high end and you're looking for an equivalent Win 8 machine. Maybe a token payment to add a Win 8 license would be more appropriate but at the moment they want you to buy a whole new Pro license.

11. mbowen89

mbowen89

So what do you plan on doing then? This is indeed unfortunate.... :(

12. fanjules

fanjules

Nothing other than moan on the forum about it. ;)

It turns out that the stuff I use from the asset store doesn't support those export targets yet, so I can't build for them anyway.

13. mbowen89

mbowen89

Should most things from asset store work for Windows8/WP? You just have a specific asset problem?

14. Ostwind

Ostwind

There are assets that use unsupported classes or other non working stuff for WP8 since the .NET version is a bit different. Some you can fix manually with few lines, some are too many lines and generally too messed up to fix yourself and some come with only dlls that you cant fix. I'm not gonna list any at this point since this platform is still relatively new and updates are being worked by at least some authors.