Search Unity

Windows 8.1 Visual Studio 2013?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by LmlangeDK, Sep 11, 2013.

1. LmlangeDK

LmlangeDK

Hi

Iam thinking about reinstall my machine to Win8.1 with VS 2013. Any challenges to it regarding Unity, anyone try?

Lennart

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hello,

there isn't an official support for it yet, so things might not work correctly. However, we'll try squeezing it into 4.3 release.

3. tswalk

tswalk

I tried and ran into a few issues... I would wait until Unity suports it, especially with regards to the newer SwapChainPanel capabilities.

4. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I just installed windows 8.1 as I haven't had windows 8 until yesterday. The issue is only VS 2013 is available for download and Unity doesn't seem compatible with WindowsKit 8.1.

I'm looking for a work around at the moment. :/

5. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

6. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I thought that too, but I got an error installing the SDK. It didn't give me much detail so I couldn't figure out why. :-( I'll try again today.

7. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I installed the 8.0 SDK but it still has issues. Unity is looking these files:

The first one "....\8.0\References\CommonConfiguration\Neutral\Windows.winmd" simply doesn't exist even after installing the 8.0 SDK. This file does exist in the "....\8.1\References\CommonConfiguration\Neutral\Windows.winmd" folder though

All the others are related to .Net Framework 4.5. I tried installing it and the installer tells me I already have a higher version and doesn't let me continue. This is correct. I have 4.5.1 located in a folder called 4.5.1 where unity is searching in 4.5.

I may be able to copy and paste files around to fix this but I'd rather not....

I'll give it a go and see what happens.

8. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Okay, so let me just confirm your setup, you have installed:
    * Windows 8.1
    * VS 2013
    * Windows SDK 8.0

?

If so, does folder - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\ even exist?

9. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Yes that's my setup and yes it exists but

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\References\CommonConfiguration\Neutral\

is empty.

Copying the files from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\References\CommonConfiguration\Neutral\

and all files from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5.1\

to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\.NETCore\v4.5\

Seems to have worked. I'm able to get it to a point where I'm fixing compile errors in my scripts (resulting from Metro's IO and reflection differences).

10. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

It doesn't work. I get a crash when the app is initialising. I assume unity is compiled to expect 8.0 and 8.1 doesn't match it somehow. I'll try something else tomorrow.

11. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

By the way, out of curiosity, do you have Visual Studio 2013 Pro, or Visual Studio 2013 Express?

Because if you do have Visual Studio 2013 Express, there are two versions:
    * Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows Desktop
    * Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows

Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows is the right to go, the other version doesn't install Windows Store Apps dependencies.

12. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I have Express, I'm not sure which as I didn't realise there were two. Microsoft are great at confusing people with their naming of things. X-D

I'll make sure I have the right version and try again.

13. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

I do have Visual Studio 2013 Express for Windows.

The app builds but now I get a black screen after (or I believe) during the unity boot screen. I think it crashes. For some reason the debugger isn't picking up any exceptions though even though it did yesterday.

14. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

15. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

With VS 2012 I get these warnings in Unity:

For anywhere I've used [System.Serializable]

and this exception running the app:
    Any ideas?

16. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Well first error says, that you have SerializableAttribute defined somewhere.

The second error is harder, basically, it says that one of the Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll dependencies are missing.

Download http://ilspy.net/ drag Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll, and look at the references, and see if they're all present.

17. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

@Tomas1856 - Thanks for helping out Antony. This is good information for those of us considering this update.

I'm currently running Windows 7 with Unity Pro, but I'm also considering moving to Windows 8.1 to get access to the new Windows based platforms. Can you tell us anything about the effort that's currently taking place within Unity Technologies to find a solution or at least a workaround for this?

It's great the functionality is there, but it seems like MS updates might be troublesome with respect to keeping a stable build environment.

Any information you can share with us about how this is being addressed at Unity Technologies would be great.

Thanks!

18. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Starting from 4.3 Unity will fully support building games against Windows SDK 8.1 + .NET 4.5.1 + VS 2013 on Windows 8.1, so no Visual Studio 2012 dependencies will be needed like Windows SDK 8.0 or .NET 4.5

So problems you're seeing now - will be resolved.

19. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Any timeframe for Unity 4.3? Microsoft want to promote my game on the store for the holiday season but that requires i have the build in testing in a few weeks.

20. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

It should be available somewhere in November, but it's not a promise.

21. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Hmm ok. That doesn't sound like it'll be ready in time for me. I'll have to keep basing my head against this one.

22. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi Tomas1856 !

I'm using Windows 8.1 to develop, and just updated Unity to 4.3. The Windows 8.1 SDK is installed alongside Visual Studio Express 2013. But Unfortunately i do get an error when building the player targeting the 8.1 SDK in build settings.

Here's the errors log :

Also when targeting the 8.0 SDK with VS 2012, it don't work anymore for me, VS crash on start when loading the project without any informations :x

I'm uninstalling VS 2012 and 2013 which may conflict, download latest VS 2013 express and report back. Also it seems the problem may be that i'm using VS 2013 RC while the latest version is RTM.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  23. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  24. Roochyroo

Roochyroo

I'm currently using Unity 4.3, Windows 8.1, 8.1 SDK, VS 2013 Express (not desktop) and I can confirm that I am able to successfully build store apps that detect multiple touches on a Lenovo Horizon All-in-One.

Once all the correct components were installed, I didn't have to do anything special to get it working.

25. SARWAN

SARWAN

@Thomas 1856
    I am also having this issue. Currently i am using Visual studio 2012 for Windows.
    So, It's must that building for windows 8.1 needs VS 2013 Express for windows.?

26. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

VS 2013 Express for Windows to be exact

27. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Is there a known issue building the Angry Bots demo project in Unity 4.3.1 for Windows 8.1 with VS2013 Express for Windows with the 8.1 SDK?

I just upgraded my PC to Windows 8.1. Fresh rebuild of my workstation. I don't have an active game development project ongoing, but I did want to ensure that my dev environment was stable and that I could build from Unity.

Angry Bots builds fine for Windows Phone 8 (using Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone) and as a standalone project, but when I switch the target platform to Windows Store Apps (with the 8.1 SDK and D3D11/C# Solution selected) and I try to build, I get this:

Assets/Scripts/Weapons/Health.js(95,17): BCE0005: Unknown identifier: 'GameScore'.
    Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors

I've read in older posts that this is because the solution is using Unity Script and that the classes have to be ported to C#, but in the Angry Bots project I have, the GameScore class is implemented in C#.

Has anyone else experienced this? As I said, I don't have a running project, so I'm not in dire straits, but I would like to know that I have a stable build environment for my Unity projects.

Thanks!

BTW - In case it's relevant, my installation order was:

Windows 8 Pro
    Windows 8.1 Pro Upgrade (from Windows Store)
    Unity 4.3.1
    Visual Studio Express 2013 for Windows
    Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone

UPDATE: Just for kicks, I created a brand new empty Unity project and just built that to see if I could get it to run. It appeared to work fine, it's just an empty project with the camera cleared to a colored screen and paints a cube. The project compiles fine...I'm having some problems with JS scripts...but I think it's just me.

I'm guessing something in the AngryBots project is using UnityScript and that's making it bail on Windows 8. It would still be nice to get confirmation if this is a known issue.

UPDATE #2: When I add a Javascript to my project, I get an error indicating a problem with serialization layout. It's a wordy error message indicating an expectation of 28 bytes read, but 24 bytes expected (or vice versa). What's the official word on using Javascript in Windows 8 projects? It seems like support isn't really up to snuff (or is just not there at all).

If JS is not supported, how is that impacting Asset Store products that use JS for scripting? Do they just not work when used towards a Windows 8 target? Is there an ETA on tightening this up?

UPDATE #3: I'm apparently an idiot. I'm not sure what I did, but deleting the entire Visual Studio project folder for my mini-project and recreating it ended up working.

Still though, I can't get Angry Bots to build for Windows 8.1 out of Unity.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  28. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Hey, this has to do with the way Unity compiles JS on windows store apps. You need to go to player preferences, select Windows Store Apps tab (windows flag icon), then go to publishing settings and scroll down to Compilation Overrides. Select either "Use Net Core Partially", or "None".

29. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

@Tautvydas Zilys - Thanks for this tip. I will try this when I get home. Just for my own edification, should this setting ALWAYS be used this way when compiling for Windows Store, or is it just under specific conditions? Is there a good rule of thumb, or an online doc that suggests what values should be used for this setting under various conditions?

30. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

If all yout scripts are C#, select "Use Net Core". If you use JS/Boo, but don't access C# classes from them, this will work too.
    "None" and "Use Net Core Partialy" makes C# classes available to JS/Boo.
    "Use Net Core" and "Use Net Core Partialy" allows you to use WinRT API.

31. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

@Aurimas, thanks for the explanation. These tips worked well and the project builds and runs now.

When I try running Angry Bots from within Visual Studio, it's incredibly slow. Is there a problem using thr VS debugger with Unity? Is it better to just run the game and attach to the process using the Mono debugger?

Thanks again for the help!

32. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're probably trying to run in "debug" configuration. Try master, that should improve performance.

33. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Thanks again. I will try this. But is it possible to use the VS Debugger with a master build? I would assume the master build doesn't have symbols for debugging. Also, this page from the Unity manual suggests that debugging Windows Store games is doable from a debug build:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/windowsstore-debugging.html

Is it just one of those things that's just terribly slow?

34. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Debugging is slow, and you can't really do anything - there's so much stuff debugger has to do extra, that's why it's so slow. Though, 5 fps is more than enough for debugging :).

35. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Okay...thanks for the response. As long as it's expected to be slow, then I guess it doesn't matter much. I've typically done my debugging through Mono, but I guess that's not an option when targeting Windows Store.

Thanks to all who answered my question. I feel like I got my system up and running as well as can be expected. Now if only the Xbox One version of Unity would come out and the ID@Xbox dev program would open up. ;)

36. kristoof

kristoof

Hi, i have windows 8.1 x64 and microsoft visual studio 2013 pro with unity 4.5.3f3 pro trial
    all of my softwares are genuine, i installed the os yesterday
    my problem is if i want to build a windows store app, it builds an .sln solution but the visual studio stay blank if i open it ://
    what is the problem? unity.png

37. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Haven't seen this before, click View->Solution Explorer and see if solution is there

38. kristoof

kristoof

no, it's empty too :( i try reinstall everything, hope it works
    vs.png

39. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

I doubt that Visual Studio woudn't print any error if it fails to open a solution, try opening the solution via File->Open menu

40. kristoof

kristoof

i reinstalled unity and visual studio, tried file-open too still same

41. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

can you create windows store app solutions via Visual Studio ?

42. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Some things I see that are not right here:

1. I see a solution file but not a csproj file in your folder. Are you sure the build was successful?

2. If the solution is opened correctly, it should still show the solution name in the solution explorer but it shows nothing which tells me that the solution didn't open properly.

3. Look at the visual studio title bar at the very top... when you open a solution it also shows the solution name there...yours shows nothing which again tells me that the solution file hasn't been opened.

Try running visual studio as administrator and then opening your solution. The lack of project files is a bit concerning though... in all likelihood you haven't actually installed the Windows 8.1 SDK (also make sure you update Visual Studio to Update 3) so the post-process build isn't working properly.

43. Dave_Voyles

Dave_Voyles

If you are looking for Visual Studio, shoot me an email.

I'm an evangelist at Microsoft, working with startups and indie developers, so I can likely set you up with a copy of Visual Studio through our BizSpark program. We've also got tons of tutorials and content for Unity devs too. Here's one I did on using Prime[31]'s Azure Leaderboards.

Here's some info on BizSpark.

Perks of the program:

• http://wootstudio.ca/startups/bizspark.aspx
    • Windows 8 / Windows Phone developer accounts
    • Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
    • Windows 8
    • Office 365
    • $150 / month Azure credits
    • Website hosting, virtual machines, databases, and mobile services
    • 90 Days of pluralsight + DigitalTutors training (Awesome for Unity)
    • Free marketing support with Microsoft
    • UnityVS, for debugging Unity games within Visual Studio

schmosef likes this.
  44. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

@Dave_Voyles,

Is this offer for start-ups only? or for whoever who wants a VS2013? ;) I'd like to have one)

45. akkiDev

akkiDev

Hello Tomas,
    When i am building App for Windows Store and SDK set to Phone 8.1, I am getting this error ::

Could not start compilationException: 'References\CommonConfiguration\Neutral\Windows.winmd' not found, do you have Windows Phone 8.1 SDK installed?
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.FillNETCoreCompilerOptions (WSASDK wsaSDK, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 arguments, System.String& argsPrefix) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.cs:127)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.StartCompiler () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/MicrosoftCSharpCompiler.cs:220)
    UnityEditor.Scripting.Compilers.ScriptCompilerBase.BeginCompiling () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Scripting/Compilers/ScriptCompilerBase.cs:47)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

Unity Version :: 5.0.1p1
    Windows 8.1
    Visual studio 2013 for windows .

As far i understand from this error that I have to install Windows phone SDK, but I am not able to it that from where I can download this SDK.

Please help.

46. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Are you able to create Windows Phone 8.1 application from Visual Studio 2013 menu ?