Search Unity

Windows 8.1 Update Ruins Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MrProfessorTroll, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

I have just upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and now Unity is not working anymore. I need to work on my project because I am on a deadline. Is this happening to anyone else? Any suggestions?

2. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

The editor doesn't work or games that target Windows 8 don't work? I'm on Windows 8.1 (64-bit / from my MSDN Subscription) and I haven't had any issues. I also went from Windows 8 to 8.1, however I installed over the top and let it migrate my files, I didn't use the upgrade option.

3. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

The editor doesnt work. It says "Unity has stopped working" and then it gives me the Debug option and the Close Program option. Also, what do you mean by installing over the top and not upgrading?

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Uninstall and reinstall Unity... that's about the only advice I could give you.

What I mean is I used the ISO, booted to DVD and did an Install. It's essentially an upgrade, not a complete clean install, but I used the install media rather than waiting for the update to become available.

5. Pix10

Pix10

6. seitor

seitor

I can still open unity however window 8.1 invalidated my pro license :( .

This is Unity error output
    "Machine identification is invalid for current license"

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. Meltdown

Meltdown

I would only upgrade to 8.1 when Unity 4.3 is released.

8. nessim

nessim

Solution to crashing editor in Windows 8.1

I was having the same problem. After upgrading to Windows 8.1 the Unity Editor stopped working. Inspector, Project, and Hierarchy tabs still showed, but the 3D viewport did not load and the editor crashed entirely. So I looked around and found a solution that forces using Direct3D 11. Adding the " -force-d3d11" parameter to Unity.exe did the trick.

This is what worked for me:

1. Make a shortcut to the Unity.exe, open its properties

2. Change the target so Unity.exe gets opened in d3d11 mode:
    YOUR_PATH\Unity.exe -force-d3d11

3. OPTIONAL: IF you suffer from BLURRY TEXTS/FONTS in the editor: In the 'Compatibility' tab check the "Disable display scaling...". Apply your changes and you are good to go

Hope this helps until an update fixes this issue.

9. kexar66

kexar66

The same here! I wrote to support to fix it, still no answer.

10. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

What is your ticket number? Please note it can take up to 5 business days for a response.

11. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Not surprising. The ISO for Build 9600 (RTM) has been available in our MSDN subscriptions for a couple of weeks but it looks like Microsoft has made a push to roll this out as an update first which makes sense but 3.5 GB is a pretty healthy download for some folks.

12. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

Yes, I had the machine identification error as well but I just registered it again by signing into my account. After that, I got the blank view port as mentioned above which later causes the crash. I have yet to try that solution but when I do I will give an update

13. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

Yes guys, the solution as mentioned by nessim works!

14. ForceX

ForceX

I can say that it did kill my license activation, now need to have support reset my Unity activation. If you are going to install the Windows 8.1 update then be sure to deactivate your current license activation.

We could really use a web method for deactivation's in the event that we are Unable to access the deactivation process from unity it self.

15. Tyler-Egeto

Tyler-Egeto

Same issue here, Windows 8.1 killed my license. I contacted support and the automated response said it could take up to 5 working days for a response! There must be a better solution here, its very frustrating when you are relying on the product to get work done.

As ForceX said, some web based deactivate form would be nice. For example a button that says "Deactivate my Unity licenses."

16. appels

appels

Installed 8.1 update, re-registered licenses, works like a charm here. No problems at all.
    Also from experience I know that support prioritises license tickets.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  17. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

Having the same problem here... I can still open my project but as soon as I import an asset it crashes (stopped working)... Luckily nessim trick works :D So I'll use that for now :)

Btw, This is my first post here! Hello everyone ;)

18. MrProfessorTroll

MrProfessorTroll

HI!!

19. gv

gv

thanks Nessim... your command line fix has worked! :)

20. Nigthwatch

Nigthwatch

Nessim thank you so much!

Your fix did the trick for me also, keep up the good work!

21. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

There's still something that's bugging me about this. After I upgraded to 8.1, Unity would crash (stop working) as above... but with an existing project. When I opened it clean and created a new project it works fine. I copied my scripts and assets / scenes from my non-working project to the new project and it still works fine, no crashes. But I can't open my original project. This is all without using the commandline switch. So what is it about an existing project that would make it crash but work fine with a new project? Tried it with 4.2.2.

22. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Here's the error that's thrown (from Debugger)

Unhandled exception at 0x7705EA02 (ntdll.dll) in Unity.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x00000004.

23. im

im

24. YorkshirePudding

YorkshirePudding

I was having this problem too, nessim your solution fixed it straight away, thank you.

25. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

26. Fubeca

Fubeca

Something like that, except that it should offer a WORKING solution when Unity says "This license is for another machine" after an update to Windows 8.1. If that option is available after logging in, then that should be made apparent. It wasn't apparent to me at this menu, and I ended up having to deactivate my macbook so I could work on my PC.

The whole point was that Unity doesn't recognize the license any more after installing the Windows 8.1 update normally via the Windows Store. No hardware changes. Other systems with limited activations (such as iTunes) allow you to reset all your activations and start over. I know it's not ideal (for Unity), but the only software packages I had activation troubles with after the update were Unity and Hero Lab, which both use activation systems that don't tie into the Windows API to do it the "standard" way.

A good activation system is one that enables you to protect your product while not inconveniencing your paying customers. Once you've inconvenienced your customers when it isn't apparent that it would obviously need to reactivate (such as replacing hardware or repaving a machine), then your activation system isn't a good one.

27. amiaram

amiaram

$erro2.png here does not work! :( Can anyone help me?

28. amiaram

amiaram

Solution for my problem: "C:program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -force-d3d11

29. massey_digital

massey_digital

I also had this problem, and Nessim's solution seems to be a working temporary fix for existing projects. However, I can't use my toolbar to open Unity, and if I create a new project it will crash the first time I create it and then when I re-open Unity it will automatically finish the project without loading the default assets such as the terrain editor data.

30. windows8.1

windows8.1

in target when I past YOUR_PATH\Unity.exe -force-d3d11 it dosnt work it says "problem with shortcut " so what do I enter in stead or what could be the problem?
    :eek:

31. windows8.1

windows8.1

I tried what nessim said but do I need to past YOUR_PATH\Unity.exe -force-d3d11 in the target directly ?

32. nessim

nessim

Obviously, you have to replace YOUR_PATH with the path where you installed Unity to. So, if you installed Unity to e.g. C:\Unity3D, then the "target" of your shortcut would be: C:\Unity3D\Unity.exe -force-d3d11

33. windows8.1

windows8.1

thx so much ill check if it works

34. windows8.1

windows8.1

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" that's my target right now so how do I edit it sorry im a beginner

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe -force-d3d11

36. windows8.1

windows8.1

$2013-11-07_173040.png $2013-11-07_173040.png
    this what it does when I enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe -force-d3d11

37. Jaimi

Jaimi

It has a space in it, so you have to enclose it in quotes.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe" -force-d3d11

38. windows8.1

windows8.1

39. windows8.1

windows8.1

thank u so much it worked

40. OmniSliver

OmniSliver

Thanks a lot, that fixed it for me. (Unity Editor 4.2.2f1)

41. pachoquiroz

pachoquiroz

The same happened to me

42. Amon

Amon

The fix posted by nessim does not work for me. Unity 4.3 windows 8.1 64bit

43. RvBGames

RvBGames

We are using 8.1, and had upgraded before we installed 4.3.

Are people really using 4.3 successfully? Unity 4.3 was frequently locking up and/or exiting to the point it was unusable. Are you able to use it without incident?

44. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Unfortunately My gpu does not support d3d11 only d3d9. Any other workarounds anyone found? Hence it crashes at startup.

What was the original bug report # so I can upvote?

45. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

The idea is that *before* you start changing your OS, you return the license.

46. mowaiskhan

mowaiskhan

Thanks Nessim, your trick solved the problem :)

47. chandu125

chandu125

Hi,
    I am getting an app certification error in windows store 8.1.i am using unity 4.3.1 and vs-2013
    Windows security features test
    ◦File C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RealHighwayCarRacing_1.0.0.0_x86 __bembtt49d8s6p\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll has failed the NXCheck check.
    ◦File C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RealHighwayCarRacing_1.0.0.0_x86 __bembtt49d8s6p\Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.
    ◦File C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RealHighwayCarRacing_1.0.0.0_x86 __bembtt49d8s6p\Assembly-CSharp.dll has failed the NXCheck check.
    ◦File C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RealHighwayCarRacing_1.0.0.0_x86 __bembtt49d8s6p\Assembly-CSharp.dll has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.
    ◦File C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RealHighwayCarRacing_1.0.0.0_x86 __bembtt49d8s6p\UnityEngine.dll has failed the NXCheck check.
    ◦File C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\RealHighwayCarRacing_1.0.0.0_x86 __bembtt49d8s6p\UnityEngine.dll has failed the SafeSEHCheck check.
    please let me know how to solve this problem..........

48. pesseba

pesseba

Thank you Nessim... your tip works fine

49. Messatsu

Messatsu

Hi!
    Since updated to W8.1, every time I try to open an Unity game a "failed to update Unity Web Player" error appears. I tried to re-install a bunch of times, but nothing happens.

50. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Try completely uninstalling the Web Player, clear your browser cache and install it again from here