Search Unity

Windows 8.1 task bar does not auto-hide in fullscreen

Discussion in 'Windows' started by stamenkrumov, Sep 1, 2014.

1. stamenkrumov

stamenkrumov

Hi,
    When I run Metro 8.1 game in fullscreen mode and move the mouse over the bottom of the screen the windows task bar appears and never hides again when I move the mouse pointer away from it. Is there any fix for this?

Thanks!

2. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

To clarify: you have set your Windows taskbar to auto-hide and it doesn't do that, when you run metro app?
    I've just tried it on my machine and it woks as expected: if don't click on task bar, it will audo-hide one I move mouse away; if I do click on taskbar, then I have to click on a game, to make it dissappear.

Perhaps your case is more specific, like using soft cursor, running on tablet or smth?

3. stamenkrumov

stamenkrumov

Sorry for the poor information. The auto-hide option in taskbar properties is not set. When I start the metro game in full screen the task bar is hidden but when the mouse cursor is at the bottom of the screen the task bar appears and never hides.Even when I don't click on the task bar it does not hide after I move the mouse. I'm using desktop pc with Windows 8.1 and the default system cursor.

4. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

That's strange, I've never seen or heard of problem like that...

5. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

This is a known bug with one of the recent Windows updates. It only affects some users. For example my work PC has the problem, but none of my home computers/tablet has the issue.

It has nothing to do with Unity, and will presumably be fixed soon.

6. JadenKorn

JadenKorn

It happens when the option under System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced tab -> Settings -> "Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing" is disabled. You have to enable it to get it working properly.

And yes, it is a Windows specific bug, just as pumpkinszwan noted. Came from the "August update" actually.

7. pumpkinszwan

pumpkinszwan

The problem appears to be fixed since the September patches.

8. Jayce4

Jayce4

It would appear that many Windows 10 users can't auto-hide the taskbar after enabling to empowering the same under Taskbar and Start Menu Properties. As you likely know, the taskbar won't auto-cover up when the mouse cursor is on it. https://appuals.com/windows-10-taskbar-not-hiding/

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  9. jay7254

jay7254

10. riverbill

riverbill

I had this issue, and this is what I already did, but unfortunately does not work for me. Now hopefully that won't the case for anyone else. This evening I found out myself what caused the problem and I stumbled upon a fix.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020