Search Unity

Windows 8.1 support? Visual studio 2013 / Visual C++ runtime

Discussion in 'Windows' started by EvilDingo, Nov 11, 2013.

1. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Hello,

Using a blank Unity project, I can't deploy and test on Windows 8.1. First, the project generated is a 2012 project so it must be re-targeted, then the Visual C++ reference included in the project isn't compatible with 8.1 and gets an error message when building.

How can I test my Unity app on my Surface 2 (Comes with 8.1 already.)

Thank you.

2. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

Hi EvilDingo,

You can either a) Not retarget it to windows 8.1, and make it a standard Windows 8 app. or b) Wait for 4.3 and things might work for you then :)

-Kyle

3. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Can I deploy to a Surface 2 with only a Windows 8 app? The remote debugging tools on RT only allow Visual Studio 2013. Can 2013 deploy to a Windows 8 app to Surface 2 without retargeting? Asking because I have a 2012 license and would hate to upgrade only to discover I'm still no closer. :)

Thanks for the reply.

4. BFS-Kyle

BFS-Kyle

All Windows 8.1 devices can run Windows 8 apps. How you deploy to it depends on the setup - from the sounds of it you have the RT tablet, but I am fairly sure you can still do remote debugging with Visual Studio 2012 and a Windows 8 app. Why dont you try it and see what happens - you have nothing to lose.

5. gv

gv

You should be able to install the 2012 debug tool on your tablet... I have a tablet running Windows 8.1 (not RT) and I have the debug tools for both VS 2012 and 2013 on it.....

With respect to Unity and 8.1 ... you can remove the reference to C++ in Visual Studio 2013 and replace it with the 2013 version.... however the Unity code doesn't seem compatible if you just do a re-target to 8.1 in Visual Studio 2013....

So i think for the most part you will need to wait until Unity 4.3 is released.. which will support 8.1 and create a Visual Studio 2013 target...

6. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

No, 2012 debug tools are locked out of the new Surface 2. It's ridiculous, but true. You have to use 2013 debug tools. Also, I'm not sure I can even side-load the app to test it because Surface (RT version) locks out anything not downloaded through the Windows Store. I'll try that now, briefly, but I am so tired of banging my head against the wall with this platform.

7. EvilDingo

EvilDingo

Okay, so it's only the remote debugging that doesn't work. If you copy it to USB and install via powershell you can get around it not being 8.1.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

8. gv

gv

I agree... I find Windows Phone a lot easier to work with than any of the Windows 8 stuff...