Search Unity

Windows 10 solitaire has ads. Implications for future gaming.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tomnnn, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Then there's the storage medium itself. Is it physically secure? What if you get hacked and your data is intentionally exposed? What if someone else promises to NOT keep any of your data, but they secretly do... and then they get hacked.

It's never ending. Keep your nose clean.

2. landon912

landon912

Hmm, well it's sure as hell taking the FBI long enough to find one, on the network developed by the military for communication.

3. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Well I mean something like the game, while loading or after beating a level, throws up a screen for me someone to tell me about some new car I'm not interested in. An actual advertisement.

4. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

They generally aren't that in your face, but lots of games have done it. Madden, the NASCAR series, Need for Speed... they all embedded advertisements within the game generally in the form of signage and that was years ago. Not to mention those were paid games, not freemiums.

5. shaderop

shaderop

Actually it's more like people are tech support for their families, and people's dad plays ungodly amounts of Solitare and would drive people nuts if an OS upgrade messes with it. So people are forced to care.

Ryiah, LaneFox and Kiwasi like this.
  6. LaneFox

LaneFox

Sorry, I guess I just keep trying to forget.

7. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

The mysterious allure of solitaire for people. Minecraft for another generation.

8. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

My dad plays it religiously too. Never understood it, though I suppose it lets your mind wander like sudoku, minesweeper, knitting, taipei, etc. I guess my brain is defective, I never really enjoy activities that can put it in autopilot, the games I tend to like are the adrenaline type.

9. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

To the average user that makes up 99% of the Windows population this actually all makes pretty much zero difference. In a twist of irony, my wife was on the PC last night (with Windows 10) and when I looked over she was playing solitaire. She's non-technical and knows nothing about this conversation or the whole ads issue. I watched her play and she didn't even notice or care about the ads.

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Mmm... she maybe have subconsciously noticed them. You won't know until you see your Amazon.com purchases for the next month.

minionnz likes this.
  11. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I'm sure she "noticed" them, but they didn't bother her. They weren't important.

12. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Ads don't bother me, either. In fact... I like them. It means I'm getting something for free AND sometimes the products are relevant to my interests. I thought the days of being appalled by the prevalence of advertisements were over. Like in the 90's we had movie parodies of futuristic cities covered with noisy ads trying to sell you everything under the sun... and now that we basically have that, I think it's not such a bad thing.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  13. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Or Geocities sites that played wav files proclaiming you as a winner of some random thing with godawful bright colors and an overzealous use of the <blink /> tag on popups, often bright yellow text on a black background.

Ryiah likes this.
  14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

That's what my current website looks like... is there something wrong with that?

minionnz, tango209 and Dustin-Horne like this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Don't forget the <marquee /> tag. :p

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  16. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Haha of course, the kind of games I never play. I would mind producing some sort-of fun freemium games that have ad integration with the main game.

Player goes home and watches tv... the tv runs ads while the player reacts as if it were an actual show. Player gets a rested bonus for the next activity.

17. tswalk

tswalk

but they'll know I spent 3 hours a day playing solitaire.. zomg!

18. minionnz

minionnz

How about a match 3 game where the tiles are all mini square ads?

Tomnnn likes this.
  19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Would it? Most people don't seem to give even the smallest toss about people collecting data on them. To the contrary, they wilfully broadcast it. Just look at Facebook - and I don't even mean any of the stuff they get a bad rap for. Hundreds of millions of people willingly and actively enter personal information into it every day for the express purpose of sharing it openly with the world.

20. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Haha nice one, hadn't thought of that before. That's hilarious! I think people might actually play that for how ridiculous it is. I wonder what those little ads would add up to be. Maybe $5 when someone completes a game.

They aren't upset about people knowing the information they willfully broadcast, but they dislike when they are studied on things they haven't put out clearly. Maybe that's how people perceive privacy... maybe people are just dumb.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

All I was saying there is that it wouldn't necessarily be a death knell. It's absolutely a valid issue, but if push came to shove and they did it subtly enough would there actually be a tipping point where a critical mass of people say "Oh hell no!" and jump ship all at once? I think it's unlikely, because a) the more people get invested in the service the worse any one change would have to be to make them leave, and b) the people running the service will choose not to make any one change that might have that effect (see: Kinect on Xbox One, perhaps?).

I do think that in general people need more education about online privacy, though. I don't just mean the "Company X is evil because they record data about you", I mean stuff like how the Internet fundamentally works - that your computer has to tell other computers a lot about what you're doing for anything to happen.

22. tiggus

tiggus

It's hard to erase an internet presence and I think in general the pros outweigh the cons as long as you are responsible. Ie. I'd rather use facebook and keep in touch with my extended family than using email and phone which was much more cumbersome. If some stranger sees some baby photos I really don't care.

Some people do try to erase it but there is always a trail - like misterselmo's account is deleted and then we have anselmo.fresquez show up with the same posting style...hmmmm! j/k, I neither know or care if you are mrselmo reborn

Ryiah likes this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

You know you're not the only one who thought that. I'm not positive his photo looks enough like a caveman though. :p

tiggus likes this.
  24. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

For now, we just see the basic stuff. Names, pictures, etc. So people use usernames to conceal who they really are, right? I once accessed a social media profile of a person who had blocked me, and something must have gotten crossed in the system, and I viewed the person's entire profile as if I were not blocked but added as a friend. I saw all their recent posts and everything. I refreshed the page, and I got the "profile not found" message. True story.

I think there's little point to anonymity on the internet, especially with shows like Catfish out there showing people how to reverse image search, and contact friends to find people's names, where they work, etc.

Same with your search history, Google has it. Then there's the elephant in the room... government agencies collecting data. So I just don't see where there is any privacy anymore, in general.

I can easily see a future where games monitor your behavior and are used as a part of an aggregate personality profile. Are you aggressive, etc.

25. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I worked for a big data company. We started getting hammered by a malicious application in a data center that was attempting to scrape certain data and we shut it down. With some searching I found someone on rentacoder asking someone to write code to get that specific data. The only information I had was a username.

Searching the username yielded no results. However, in an off chance I fired up Better Whois and checked for a matching domain name and found it. It just happened to be a gentlemen that lived in the area where the data was being scraped. He did not have private registration and I had all of his contact information.

I posed as someone interested in the data, emailed him out of the blue asking him if I could buy it. He was skeptical at first, being cautious to ask what kind of business I was in. Then he admitted it, told me how much data he got, how much he paid for it and offered to sell it to me. All information was subsequently turned over to the legal department and they took it from there.

Anonymity is hard to achieve, especially with user names because people tend to reuse those user names across multiple sites and eventually you can string together enough information to find them. I don't even bother... I just use my real name. :)

Kiwasi, Ryiah and Master-Frog like this.
  26. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

That's the decision I ultimately made, as well. After many years of various aliases throughout my teens and twenties, I finally realized that a) there was enough data out there that anyone could find me, b) I didn't really care, anymore and c) nobody cares anymore. Haha. Look at all the high profile celebrities being taken out... Cosby... trump.. Jared from subway... who do I think I am that anybody is that interested in me? Lol

27. darkhog

darkhog

That's why I hate Microsoft and so should you. I've told you such thing would eventually happen. Did you listen? Of course not.

I swear, the second Linux Editor goes live I'm formatting my HDD and install Kubuntu (actually I prefer openSuSE, but there's lot of software in Ubuntu that I want/need and which isn't available for other distros).

28. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Fair enough but for your average non-technical user, Linux just plain sucks. There's not a distro out there that doesn't result in confusion as to what you can and can't install. Many of them make updates easy. I actually really like Mint, but I'd never have my folks use it. Open the package manager, look at the software list... "...for the KDE desktop environment..." or "...for the Gnome desktop environment...", they don't know what any of that means or which application is going to work for their particular installation.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  29. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It wouldn't be if people could learn to adopt several personas for their various interweb activities.

My computer visits unity so frequently that it survived ccleaner and clearing the history. I'm a little scared, actually.

The real question is... will the people who didn't listen then care now?

30. Ryiah

Ryiah

Why isn't it available? It shouldn't be that much effort to grab software packages from other distros. You simply need to go through the process of obtaining their package manager, specifying their repository URLs, and retrieving the packages.

I know I don't particularly care. If someone wants to track me, they will find a way to do so. Linux cannot hide you completely.

31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I like how that works with linux. I use brew and pip when I can to install things on my mac, it's so cool! Except when I found out pip doesn't update to python 3, it becomes pip3... but pip still exists.

32. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This is already a thing. There are various games now with directors AIs that can tailor content to suit individual players. I read of experiments a few years ago to improve this further by allowing the directors to share data across the cloud. So it wouldn't surprise me if this sort of system was already implemented.

Personally I would love to be able to just link a potential employer to my XboxLive profile and give them a full personality read out. It beats sitting through 3 hours of psychometric testing for each job application.

If you come from a culture that trusts their government, then governments collecting data is a non issue. Again, I just wish the agenecies would share data more efficiently between themselves to stop the need for me filling out the same form every time.

Master-Frog and Ryiah like this.
  33. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Just don't forget that there are some benefits to people losing anonymity online as well. I for one are sick and tired of the venom and hate that seems to pervade on Twitter, Reddit, etc. Some of that has to do with anonymity and the fact that some human beings just like to tear others down to make themselves feel better. Does it get rid of all the hate? Of course not, just like there is still hate in real life but generally it raises the bar to spew that hate.

Being known does cut down on the ugly side of the internet, especially on those that are either young or think it's cool just to bash on things, people doing it just to get a rise out of people, or other trolls. Why? Because when you're not just a voice from the ether there are consequences to face when you cross the line.

I am certainly a proponent of certain places being private, just like a therapist or doctors office might be private in real life. However, general public websites like twitter, should be like public places in real life. You have an identity and people should be able to see that identity when you visit.

There are cons to being known, just like there are in real life. But I see very few saying they need to be anonymous in real life.

Tomnnn, Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  34. Ryiah

Ryiah

It may have some limited viability for those who are solely interested in checking social sites and their email, but for those people an Android tablet may be just as effective. Both my dad and I have spent a number of months on Linux as our primary OS but we concluded that it simply failed to satisfy our needs in the way Windows was capable of doing.

My dad isn't precisely a non-technical user, but he hasn't actively tried to keep up with computer tech since the late 90s.

35. darkhog

darkhog

Android = Linux. Google didn't write their own kernel, they've used Linux. The fact that userland is different is an another story.

36. Ryiah

Ryiah

Only the techies actually know that. Not that it actually matters. Android's value lies in userland.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    Kiwasi likes this.
  37. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

My web server = linux. How do I interact with it? cPanel, ftp, PHP... Seems any time something is linux, people need to build a way to interact with linux that isn't Linux... userland? Now I've heard it all.

38. Ryiah

Ryiah

Pretty much. There is a reason why a number of people insist Linux is known as GNU/Linux. Because Linux may be the kernel but most of the functionality lies in GNU and other programs on top of the kernel. A kernel by itself isn't very valuable.

39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

If I put linux in the microwave, will I get popcorn?

Ryiah and Master-Frog like this.
  40. ippdev

ippdev

There has been a series of articles at veterans today on how they put them together so the scientifically aware general public can know when the honchos are FOS and making bogus claims about this country or that having capability. It really isn't rocket science or that baffling of a technique how it is done. It is the machining tools you would need to make the exact shapes. It is more a geometries and critical mass of a particular isotope and a source of highly explosive chemicals like red mercury to drive the critical mass at each other where the chain reaction cascade can begin than anything particularly bafflingly exotic. There is a place in South Africa that had a natural critical mass atomic fission explosion from accumulated isotopes gathering from runoff.

41. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

You get popcorn linux

Ryiah and Tomnnn like this.
  42. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

My basic understanding is that the ingredients are hard to come by and very dangerous to handle. So googling "how it works" isn't really one the same level as trying to obtain any of the items needed to build one... that would be the act that raises flags in the NSA.

43. ippdev

ippdev

The US has been all about raising and lowering of flags lately. This place gets me dizzy and my neck hurts from the constant up and down motion.

Tomnnn likes this.
  44. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I'll like your post, but I'm disappointed in the community. It devalues the joke (lessens the cleverness) when it's actually a reference to something. Lines have been crossed.

That's just Americans doing what Americans do - jerking up and down on their polls.
    If hippocoder is really from Britain I think I'll get away with that one. It's a lame pun, but I do hope it isn't infraction worthy. I'll hide it with a spoiler so maybe that'll make the difference :)

Couldn't you just cook your own cesium if you wanted to make an explosive? Hell since we're talking about america why go through the trouble. You could just go legally purchase a firearm :/

darkhog and Ryiah like this.
  45. Nanako

Nanako

This has to be the dumbest thing ive seen all week

Of the two, microsoft has generally been the nicer, and less greedy one. Apple has been nickel and diming its customers for at least a decade.

If you don't like this behaviour, you should stay very far away from apple.

46. ippdev

ippdev

I call BS. I haven't paid Apple one dime beyond hardware costs in 22 years of daily usage.

HemiMG, calmcarrots and Tomnnn like this.
  47. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Looks like someone missed the republican debate. (ba-DUMB-tss)

They adopted free OS upgrades sooner :p that's the only stock thing I need from them.

Same. Maybe she meant to say Adobe instead of Apple?

48. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

My only real concern with apple's business model is how quickly they drop support for old hard ware and operating systems. But considering I've never spent a cent with them I can can't really complain.

49. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I think that's just what companies do. If you're not running the latest OS, you have to hack your system to get the latest things to work. Sometimes third party support for old OS's is even worse. I have had about 50/50 success installing things, sometimes there's no official link to the old software files and you have to get them from SourceForge or something. I think apple is about even, here.

50. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Apple's kind of unique in that the only 'normal' place to get apps for their phones and tablets is on the app store. Apple also unique in that they will actively prevent you from upgrading the operating system of older devices. Combine these two features and it basically becomes impossible to get software for older devices without jail breaking.

Master-Frog likes this.