Search Unity

Window tools to speed up development

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by adambielecki, Mar 6, 2023.

1. adambielecki

adambielecki

Hi folks.
    I recently created am editor extension package.

Here is a quick summary :

Features
    Search by Material It will be find all objects in current scene that have searched material
    Search by name Find all objects in scene and highlights them that name starts with search data
    Search by Component Find all objects in the scene and highlight them that have specific components attached. The dropdown contains a list of all available Unity components.
    Search by mesh name Find all objects in scene and highlights them that mesh name starts with search data
    Search by tag name Find all objects in the scene and highlight them that match the selected tag. Dropdown list will have all available tags and will automatically update when a user add new tag.

I tried to submit via publisher (which would my 28th package in total, so I am quite familiar with the process) but surprisingly Unity refused with argument stating that it's too simple.

This package would be free.

I would greatly appreciate if you could share some ideas what else would you like to see in this sort of package. I was thinking about some tools that does bulk updates etc.

mgear likes this.
  2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

I guess Unity's point is that there are a number of packages that do a similar thing, more so if you consider all the various tools that have those features as "extras" that aren't even worth mentioning compared to what else the tool does.

One example is probably RiderFlow, you should check that out and see if it hasn't already implemented the features you listed. It's free.

adambielecki likes this.
  3. adambielecki

adambielecki

Thanks, it seems like it takes more time to research what's not out there :)

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Indeed. I spent nearly two years trying to find a niche in the asset store that seems worth pursuing. ;)