Search Unity

Question Window says "Unity playback engine." rather than the name of my game.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AlphaLulz, Sep 22, 2022.

1. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

Whenever I make a build and right-click on the window on my taskbar, it says "Unity playback engine." rather than the name of my game. Does anyone know why and how to fix it? I am on version 2021.3.9.

2. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

This is also happening on other versions and it wasn't happening like a week ago. All of my old projects don't have this issue. When I hover over the thing on the taskbar, it has the right name, but when I right-click, it says "Unity playback engine."

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you show a screenshot of that?

4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

6. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

The problem is that Windows displays the description of the app on the taskbar rather than the name of the app, so when "Unity playback engine." is set as the description of the app, that is what is shown on the taskbar. If you leave it empty, it stays as the name of the app. In the image below, my game is called "Test project", but when right-clicking it on the taskbar while it is running, it says "Unity playback engine."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  7. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

Also just as a suggestion, I feel like the Unity stuff shouldn't be included in the properties when you have Unity Plus/Pro, because at that point, you're paying to have full authority over how your game is displayed (such as being able to remove the splash screen). It would be cool for Unity Plus/Pro users to be able to customize the properties in the editor instead so they can set their own copyright info. I'm mentioning this since I have a Pro license and I never expected games built with Pro to be forced to have Unity branding on them, as the splash screen isn't required. This also provides more incentive for people to subscribe to Unity Plus or Pro.

8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I totally understand. None of this was supposed to be part of branding or anything like that. I didn't expect it to show up as it is showing up there. It wasn't supposed to affect the game executable!

Here's a temporary workaround:

1. Open build settings, check "Create Visual Studio solution" checkbox (you can do this in your Unity project or an empty Unity project);
    2. Create a build. This will create a Visual Studio project.
    3. Open the built project in Visual Studio. In there, there will be a file named "WindowsPlayerVersion.rc", which contains all these listed properties.
    4. Edit the file to your liking and build the resulting project in "Master" configuration for your desired CPU architecture (either x86 or x64).
    5. Take the generated executable and save it somewhere.
    6. Now, when you do normal builds, replace the generated executable with the one you made manually.

I will undo the change and make sure to fix it as soon as I can.

9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

10. AlphaLulz

AlphaLulz

In that case, I do still think that it would be cool to have the option to change the properties in the editor rather than having to do the Visual Studio build thing. Is this a feature that could be added?

11. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It's not on our roadmap at this time. I suspect that would involve patching an already compiled executable in place because when you don't build a Visual Studio project, the .exe is simply copied from within Unity installation directory.

12. poprev-3d

poprev-3d

This is a severe regression and should be fixed ASAP. I'm having the same issue since 2021.3.9f1 as well (Windows x64)

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That's exactly how I'm treating it. You can use the workaround above in the meantime but rest assured I working of getting the fix in as quickly as I can.

poprev-3d likes this.
  14. JasperByrne

JasperByrne

Has a fix appeared for this in 2021 LTS yet? I'm about to release my new game and would prefer it to not be called Unity Playback Engine in the taskbar etc.

poprev-3d likes this.
  15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix will be in 2021.3.13f1.

poprev-3d likes this.
  16. spootymilk

spootymilk

And 2021.3.13 will be avaible the ... ?

17. dozesoft

dozesoft

2020.3.41f1 also has this problem.

18. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

19. poprev-3d

poprev-3d

20. hippogames

hippogames

Regression in 2021.3.16, here are UWP and EXE versions.

upload_2023-1-15_14-5-47.png

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Could that be a cached value from a previous version? The executable properties in 2021.3.16 shouldn't have that string.

22. hippogames

hippogames

Hi, how to make sure it's not cached?

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Find the game executable, go to properties details tab and see if that string is in there.

24. hippogames

hippogames

How to clear cache? After reinstalling the app from Steam, it is still displayed as 'Unity playback engine'.
    upload_2023-1-21_14-43-16.png

25. spiney199

spiney199

I'm getting this issue on a project I hadn't even built yet. Something's definitely still buggy.

26. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I generally delete the folder where the build is in and build to a completely new folder.

27. binayak_dtl

binayak_dtl

What is the update on this issue? When I build my game using the Unity GUI, everything is ok. But, when I use command line to build the game, the name of the game on the taskbar appears to be "Unity Playback Engine."?
    I tried using different version but non of them solved the issue.

28. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It's been fixed on all supported versions of Unity. The issue tracker link I linked above lists exactly which versions the fix landed to.

Could you be seeing cached values? Maybe try building to an empty folder?