Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Window as transparent overlay not working since 2018.3.0b12

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by BackgroundMover, Dec 6, 2018.

1. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

I don't know if this was ever supported functionality so I haven't filed it as a bug, but the ability to make your built player have a transparent background and show the underneath desktop contents (or other windows), works in 2018.3.0b12 but not in 2019.1.0a11.

Specifically the project linked here
    [SOLVED!] Windows: Transparent window with opaque contents (LWA_COLORKEY)?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

What happens exactly when you run that code?

3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It looks like it got broken because DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea function doesn't work with flip-model swapchains, and in 2019.1 we switched our D3D11 implementation to use flip-model swapchain because it is more performance and supports technologies like GSync and FreeSync. Can you file a bug on it? We will probably add an option in player settings or a command line flag to opt out of flip-model swapchain.

Thaina, Novack, LeonhardP and 2 others like this.
  4. roykoma

roykoma

5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I just fixed this on Friday. It's going to be in one of 2019.1 patches soon.

ben_sheftel and BackgroundMover like this.
  6. BackgroundMover

BackgroundMover

Just got the email:
    "I just wanted to let you know that your bug has been fixed and should no longer be reproducible in the upcoming 2019.1.7f1, 2019.2.0b6, 2019.3.0a2 versions. The fix was to add a checkbox to player settings ("Use DXGI Flip Model Swapchain for D3D11") that makes the Standalone player use old (pre 2019.1) behaviour"

Heartfelt thanks to everyone that worked on this. And a big dose of sympathy for the other 99.9% of Unity users that will have no idea what this really scary sounding checkbox is for!

cheekytinker69 likes this.
  7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

By the way, you need to UNCHECK that checkbox for transparency to work :). It's checked by default.

ben_sheftel likes this.