Search Unity

Windmill Town - Unity 3 Demo (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by theinfomercial, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Gamerdad81

Gamerdad81

Looks amazing man, love the pulp fiction reference on your softbodies lol. i was running it on windows full screen on fantastic quality and averaging about 90 fps ;) rock on

2. Westmark

Westmark

Hehe ok, sorry about that then. I don't have the demo scene anymore so I couldn't really compare.

ohh and BTW i get between 80 and 140 fps on my quad q9400 and ati 4870 :)

3. spiralgear

spiralgear

I have the same thing

Mac Pro Desktop
    RadeonX1900
    2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core
    5 GB Ram

This isn't the first time I have seen it, I got the same thing on a couple other beta builds.

4. KarelA

KarelA

DOH: :D I meant how did you get so nice dynamic shadows???? I dont know where my brain was when i was typing this.. :oops:

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@Spiralgear - Hope you're posting bug reports each time you see problems. UT can't fix an issue if they don't know about it. ;)

It could also be an issue in the Apple drivers, but again, the techs at UT could determine that too.

6. nm8shun

nm8shun

It's not blocked at my country - it's blocked at my company. A lot of companies block things like MediaFire and Rapidshare, anything that has been rumored to contain illegal contents. If it's not convenient - no worries, I'll just pick it up at home on mediafire.

Thanks!

7. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

It's not exactly the greatest video card, but again like I said it could be a faulty driver.

8. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@bigkahuna: There's only one custom shader, but it's just the shader on the glowing ball on a stick. That's it.

@Gamerdad81: Heh, thanks. I like that quote when applied to other things. 90 fps...damn. Wish I could get a framerate like that (on my own game no less lol). What card? :) For the record I get 50-60 fps at 1280x800 fantastic.

@Westmark: S'alright. They just be windmills. :p

@spiralgear: Ahh....it seems that you and big kahuna both have X1000 era graphics cards (but of course that might not be the problem). I have no way of testing this, but I guess bug reports to Unity Tech would help.

@Gotmilk: They're just standard, out of the box soft shadows. They just move a lot. :)

@nm8shun: Yep, just play it at home and enjoy!

I'll be posting a new build soon, when I figure out how to get the springs working (Halp). Stay tuned! :wink:

9. Pulov

Pulov

runs betwen 29-32fps at 1080 with best quality in a rig with an HD 4850 8gb ramb and Phenom II X4.

For the low poly number present in the scene the fps is a bit on the edge. THe shaders, filters are fantastic, but they're very resource consuming.

Very nice demo anyway

10. half_voxel

half_voxel

Looks really great in the screenshots, but when I try to download the mac version it says it can't unarchive it, I tried toggling off the unarchive on download option but then my download is 0kb (which was probably the reason it couldn't be unarchived).

Do you think you can upload it to another mirror/site?

11. Discord

Discord

Got ~60fps at 1920x1080 on fantastic. Looks good! I should probably get around to installing beta v5.

12. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@Pulov: That ain't right. There are some people around here with similar cards that run over 60 fps at the same res. My card (8800GT on Mac) runs at 1920x1200 and around 35 fps, and yours is much better than mine. So something might be up with your card. As for the poly count, it's around 1.5-2 mil tops, which is actually similar to the poly count in Crysis at very high settings....so yeah. :)

@sturestone: Not sure what that's all about. Anyone else have problems? I can upload to rapidshare if that works for you?

@Discord: Thanks! The latest beta is actually 6 not 5. :)

Having trouble with setting up the springs. Vector math sucks. :(

Does ANYONE with some programming knowledge want to take a look at my prob? http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=62370

13. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@Discord - There's a thread here that discusses graphics issues that look suspiciously similar to what I'm seeing with your project. Might be worth a look.

And yes, definitely update to B6, lots of things fixed / changed.

14. Discord

Discord

The latest beta email I have is for B5. Lame. :(

15. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

16. half_voxel

half_voxel

Yeah, rapidshare usually works. That'd be great!

17. Discord

Discord

How embarrassing. I can find the iPhone and Android beta groups, but can't find the plain old Unity group. :oops: I guess I'll just wait for the email. :p

18. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

http://groups.google.com/group/unity-beta-testing?hl=en

You probably have to contact support@unity3d in order to gain access to the group. From what I learned earlier today, apparently there are two versions out, one for the beta testers (b6) and another which they call a "preview" (b5). When you buy the update you get access to the preview, only beta testers get the latest release.

19. Discord

Discord

Ah, well that explains why I only have B5 then. I'm not a beta tester. I guess that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up bigkahuna.

20. giyomu

giyomu

well i am not beta tester as i know , but I get beta6 ,

when you run unity3.0beta5 it should popup an update version message or you can maybe check for update form u3b5..

21. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, it's (b6) to the pre-purchase customers, I have it also.

22. Pulov

Pulov

nice to know that it is so high poly, I thought it was super low poly.

I'll check for updating my drivers.

23. Tom163

Tom163

Yes, I have the same graphics glitches as with my own scenes, see attached screenshot. Definitely something bad going on here.

Check the building walls, but also the edge of the windmill on the right - looks like an anti-aliasing issue there. Running the player on "Fast" or "Fastest" removes the problem, I'll experiment with that at home with my scene, but maybe you can post what the differences between "Fast" and "Simple" are for this project? One of them must be causing these glitches.

Attached Files:

24. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I've signed up with the beta group. Waiting response.

@Pulov: At the same res on crysis, I can run crysis at 10-15 fps vs my 35 fps on my game. Draw calls are around 1000 and on crysis can be around 2000.

@Tom: 3 fps? Looks like someone needs a new card. I think my mom's macbook with an integrated chip can run faster than that (maybe not). The difference between simple and fast is shadows are enabled in simple. So I'm guessing that's the problem. What's your card?

25. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

UPDATE

The game has been updated to beta 7 with new stuff to play with.

-Platforms to ride around on
    -Springs to launch around
    -Cloth has been fixed and has an awesome glow effect
    -Bloom effect is online
    -Various modifications that make the game run and look better

Sorry for taking so long but I had some real learning experiences with scripting. Not to mention I had to wait for certain fixes. Anyway the latest build is here, enjoy it! :)

26. gokhanertem

gokhanertem

i wish i could get on those flying planes :)
    100 fps gtx 275 1920 1080 fullscreen

how did you get the nice effect on the wind mills

they are like glowing

is is fullscreen shader, or a shader on the windmills?

27. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'm assuming you updated the link in the original post,
    twice I downloaded the Win file and when extracting WinAce 2.69
    says the file header is damaged and will proceed no further.

28. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@gokhanertem: You mean the flying platforms? At the start of the game, you're already on one, and you simply stay on it while it flies around the level. As for the windmills, it's a combination of the bloom shader, glow shader, and sunshafts. The shader on the windmills is merely a bumped specular shader.

@Don Gray: Weird. Have you tried extracting the files by using the default windows extractor (not win ace)? It should work, if not I'll re-upload a new windows version.

29. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Dunno, don't see any other app to unzip the file (win 7).

30. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Are you sure? Doesn't windows 7 have a default unzip utility (it should be the same as it was in vista)? I'd imagine you would just right click on the zip file and choose extract (unless it says win ace).

31. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Could be win archiver took the place of the default program, I don't remember, the only other option is windows explorer.
    Seems I installed the wind archiver program since something wouldn't open with the default or something, don't remember.
    Looking in the other programs folder I have no idea where the default program might be.
    Just tested some other zip files and they work ok, so not sure why yours doesn't work.

32. HJP

HJP

I like it. Is it possible to get this as a resource for investigations?

33. gokhanertem

gokhanertem

i wonder if the smoke on ground is only particles, only built in stuff..?

34. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@Don Gray: Windows should have a default extractor. I think if you right click on the file, it should have the option to extract. Actually, if you double click the zip file, does it open win ace, or something else?

@HJP: Thanks! You mean make the project open source? I might do that. I would have to clean up some files and put up legal notes and copyrights. Not entirely sure if it's worth it though, since the project itself isn't all that special. But maybe!

@gokhanertem: The rolling fog effect was made with a stock U3 particle effect I found (called Dust) and expanded it a little, colored it brown, added some rotation to them, and used soft particles (which makes the effect look so nice).

35. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yep, opens with WinAce, can't find where I set the file type affinities.

36. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Hmm....Not sure what to do.

I'll upload a new windows version that was zipped inside of windows (dual booting ftw).

Glad you all like it! Although, this may be the last update for it simply because I have higher priorities right now (aka life).

37. VeganApps

VeganApps

My virus-scanner detected an ominous behaviour when I executed the .exe file (Download Windows).

The file was isolated (deleted) automatically.. :evil:

38. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I'm guessing you're on Norton? Some virus scanners detect Unity exe's as a virus. Try turning off your virus scanner (most game devs and publishers tell this too) and see if the game runs.

39. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Well I think it looks very impressive, and wasted quite a while playing with it (thanks for that OP, like I don't procrastinate enough as it is! :p).

To those worried that it's some virus or something, it's not, it's just overactive anti-virus software and as has been said above, it happens sometimes to Unity exe's (I've seen it happen to exe's created by most programs that create exe's, tbh).

Nice work all the same!

40. VeganApps

VeganApps

No. I won´t turn my scanner off! :roll:
    It is up to Unity Technologies to fix this (or up to the .exe-developers..).
    I never had problems before.. --I guess it´s because Unity 3 beta was used to create it.. ? Or because the .exe creator does weird things.. via a plugin or .net..

41. yahodahan

yahodahan

WOOOOWzas. :D I can't wait to get my hands on Unity 3!

around 45-60 fps on GTS250 and Q6600, btw.

the cloth is what really amazed me, everything else I've seen before in UT3..well mostly...but...the cloth is AMAZING. I walked around bumping through it and my FPS didn't stutter one bit...wow. :D

42. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@oblivionfeet: Glad you like the game! :D

@DynamicHead: No idea what things would have been different between Unity 2.6 and 3.

@yahodahan: Yeah the cloth is pretty nice. It's actually quite cheap to render as long as you do it right (low poly, no self collision, optimized collision detection, etc).

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Awesome, good to know- I was worried it would be a FPS hog.

Since you've got it working there- can the cloth physics effect other, previously inert objects? Ie, could you put cloth on those windmills, and have the wind push on the cloth and thereby push the windmills around??? :)

44. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Lol!

No, that's handled through math and scripting. There's no *actual* wind blowing my windmills, and the cloth is acting on set wind parameters. Cloth wouldn't be able to pull along connected objects. At least as far as I know. It would have to be scripted.

That would be cool though. :)

45. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I finally got a decent Windows game machine to test this on and it looks awesome. It ran at about 50 - 80 fps on my i5 notebook with GeForce GTS360 graphics. I especially liked the way you nicely integrated solar flare, god rays, and animated fog together.

46. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Hey thanks guys!

I'm glad my demo turned out to be such a success. All it is really is free models from Turbosquid mixed in with stock eye candy from Unity Pro. Never thought it would be this well received. Thanks for playing!