Search Unity

Windmill Town - Unity 3 Demo (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by theinfomercial, Aug 19, 2010.

1. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Hello everyone! Here's a Unity 3 beta demo game that I made. :)

It started out as a test bed for beta testing Unity 3, but it has since then grown into something else. This demo has no art direction whatsoever, as it's literally just a bunch of models I got off Turbosquid and randomly placed them in the scene. As a result, the scene's color palette is quite brown (sorry Jessy :p ).

This scene is a walkaround demo that features all (read "most") of Unity 3's new features such as trees, cloth physics, soft particles, audio effects, Beast, Umbra, the new post effects and deferred rendering. The game was optimized around my Mac Pro with an nVidia 8800GT. So if you have something better, this demo will run fine. :D Likewise, if your hardware is struggling, you can switch to a lower setting.

There'll be more to come as I may add in a monster character that walks around the level, or optimize it further if needed.

Enjoy!

Download Mac OS X

Download Windows

UPDATE

The game has been updated to beta 7 with new stuff to play with.

-Platforms to ride around on
    -Springs to launch around
    -Cloth has been fixed and has an awesome glow effect
    -Bloom effect is online
    -Various modifications that make the game run and look better

2. Pyroman311

Pyroman311

Looks amazing man. Great job.

3. greensquidsolutions

greensquidsolutions

nice work :)

I have a AMD Phenom II X4 955 with nvidia 8800 GTSand get between 26/45fps with the windows version of your app. (thought you might like to know :)

Also for the cloth, do it double sided otherwise you walk through it and its completely see through heh :)

keep up the good work :)

4. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Thanks. :)

Yeah, I made the game to run at 30 fps at 1920x1200 res on my machine. So yeah, your milage may vary. Good to know that others are at least able to play the game. :D

As for the cloth, yeah that's something I intend to fix soon (the double sided-ness, not the Pulp Fiction gag :) ). I made the cloth with a simple Unity plane object, but I would need to know how cloth physics handles double sided cloth assuming there's a specific way to go about it.

5. tatelax

tatelax

absolutely incredible!

6. coin-god

coin-god

Is the player controller diferent (like smoother)? Or is it because of the lag Im getting?

7. Leosmontu

Leosmontu

wow.Nice job.

8. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

The normal fps controller uses a mouse look script, but I replaced it with a smooth mouse look script that I found on the forums.

Lag? Are you having framerate problems?

9. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

When it (windows version) unzips, it cannot open a lot of files (mostly mac stuff), when I try to launch it,
    it reports "cannot load dll">

10. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Hmm...I don't know. What Windows version are you running? Are you double clicking on the exe file? Is the _Data folder right beside it?

11. coin-god

coin-god

Oh, could you possible give me the link?

And yeah I do, I go from 20 to 40. It is laggy for me.

Dual core + nvidia 9500 GT.

Do you have to use Occlusion Culling? Maybe that would help performance.

12. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Script is at the bottom.

That's a pretty good framerate for your graphics card. Try lowering the quality to see if it helps the framerate.

I'm using Umbra within the demo. The performance boost wasn't that much actually (still need some pointers on how to make the best use of it).

Attached Files:

13. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

I got roughly 73 frames per second at 1440x900. This demo is really good though for just getting some models off of TurboSquid and making a random walk-about. :D I especially love the music. It's on a loop, but it blends so nicely. ^^

14. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Baracuda, that's a pretty damn good framerate. I'm guessing you have a powerful rig. :)

For those of you wondering just what is actually being churned out of this game, here's a pic at one end of the level that shows the extremes of the draw call/triangle count.

Attached Files:

15. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

Well, a 5870 with Eyefinity 6 will do that. ^^ That's only on my gaming rig though, my main computer only got about 40 FPS.

16. coin-god

coin-god

On medium settings I do have a decent FPS, and it dosnt go Up and Down that much.

btw, thanks for the script :)

How exactly do I use it in a FP controler?

17. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Baracuda, yeah I figured you'd have a decent card in there. Leaps better than my card. :)

Coin god, you simply replace the mouse look scripts in the fps controller prefab (for both the main parent object and camera child). Should work just the same.

I'm going to be adding some moving platforms to the level to play around with, since I totally forgot about that feature. Stick around!

18. Wolf Dreamer

Wolf Dreamer

Some of the windmills turn in the opposite direction of others.

The physics cloth thing was funny. 8)

19. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I'm too lazy to make the windmills physically accurate. :p But I'll fix up the cloth.

The cloth was funny. Right as I was making it, I could hear Samuel Jackson asking me if I had cloth physics in his pulp voice. So I did that.

20. Artimese

Artimese

This S***s AWESOME, was getting no less than 45 frames, and i loved the cloth :p Btw, how did you make the moving fog effect thing, is that only in Unity3?

21. NomadKing

NomadKing

Very nice demo :) Was getting 60-70 FPS on fatastic settings

22. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

Yes, this does look very nice indeed. A very big well done.

Regards,
    Matt.

23. 3dDude

3dDude

what quality to you guys have set?

because i got bout 5-10 fps on my NVIDIA GeForce 9400M on fantastic quality.

the only setting that i could get it playable was fast >.<

BTW your scene looks crazy! :)

24. adriaanza

adriaanza

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I noticed some objects such as the lamp posts only jump into view when you're a certain distance from them, while the houses are always visible. What handles this? Is it Umbra's work?

25. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Nice scene, I got about 80 fps mostly, once it got down to 59, but once went up to 202 on fantastic :)

26. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Ok, got it working, maybe it was me holding down the enter button on all the errors while unzipping that caused the problem.
    The scene and atmosphere are great, but I would have gone with some mysterious music.
    The jump feature is hopped up...
    67-105 fps at 1600x1200 full screen on fantastic.

27. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@Artimese: The rolling fog effect was made with a stock U3 particle effect I found (called Dust) and expanded it a little, colored it brown, added some rotation to them, and used soft particles (which makes the effect look so nice).

@3dDude: Sorry about that. My game wasn't really made for mobile cards, but at least it's playable for you on the fast setting. :)

@AdriaanZA: If Umbra was responsible for the popping objects, I'd ditch it. :p No, it's actually a camera distance culling optimization technique I used for the lamposts, mine bags, desks and chairs. I guess I could bump up the distance a bit in the next version since it doesn't really seem to help that much.

@Don Gray: Glad you got it working. The music is actually a modified Apple Loop. I chose it because it kinda fit the image of my Windmill Town. Kind of a lazy, old, country western tune. Mysterious might work too, but not sure.

Thanks for the comments guys! I find it kind of funny that most everyone here is getting a much better framerate in my own game than me. :p My framerate is usually around 40-45 fps at 1920x1200. Meh, I need a new card. :D

Also, the platforms are done and the cloth will be fixed today (assuming there aren't any hitches with double sided cloth). :wink:

28. snicholls

snicholls

There is a problem with objects being drawn over trees (first I thought it was the shadows) so for instance the walls are drawn over the trees in black.

ati 4xxx

29. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I don't know about that Snicholls. The trees aren't doing anything like that for me. Have you tried updating drivers?

Also, is the name of your card actually ATI 4xxx? :p

I found a kind of happy accident with double sided cloth, it has to do with lighting. On one hand the lighting is inaccurate, on the other, the lighting is awesome looking. So I think I'll leave it in. It might just be a thickness issue. :D

30. SystemIsGod

SystemIsGod

Hi, I don't know how some people are getting such low fps.
    I was 1680 x 1050 fantastic full screen and I was getting 80-110
    I have a 3.2 ghz dual core and a 4890.

31. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

We just don't have top of the line cards like you guys do. My card's pretty decent, but you and others have really nice cards. :)

I just got beta 6 and will update my game for it. Hopefully some bugs will be fixed so I can add in another image effect that I wanted to use.

32. nm8shun

nm8shun

Mediafire is blocked here. Can anyone host it somewhere else - I'm really interested to see this project.

33. snicholls

snicholls

doh, its actually (my card) a 4870 ati card, drivers are all up to date, Windows 7, all works fine except that overlapping issue.

34. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@nm8shun: Mediafire blocked in your country? Does Rapidshare work for you? If so, I'll upload a mirror there.

@snicolls: I don't know what to do about that. Maybe wait for my next update (which is updated to U3 beta 6). Maybe it'll work. :)

35. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"@Don Gray: Mysterious might work too, but not sure."

heh, heh, guess that's mt fixation...

:)

36. greensquidsolutions

greensquidsolutions

37. sagron6015

sagron6015

Pretty nice - I'm getting usually around 80 or 90fps; I saw it drop to the 60's at one point jumping around like crazy but went right back up and also saw up to 120s max fps. (Intel E8400 Core2Duo @ 3.00 GHz-9800 GTX card-Win 7 x64-16GB DDR2) Granted I also have unity, photoshop, and about 20 firefox tabs open in the background :p. Oh and that's @ 1440x900 on fantastic.

38. Voumerus

Voumerus

AMD Phenom X4 3.4
    GeForce 250 GTS

On max setttings i get 50-70 fps it didn't go below 50 but went above 70 fairly often. also using Windows 7, one last thing... i spent the entire time jumping around

39. KarelA

KarelA

This is so cool. How did you get dynamic textures looking so good?

40. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

@Don Gray: I don't know what that means. :eek:

@greensquidsolutions: Hey thanks! My double sided cloth is a custom imported plane object from my 3d package. I created a plane object, duplicated it, reversed it's polygons and then combined the two. This creates double sided meshes. In Unity, I replaced the plane mesh object in the cloth component with my cloth mesh. Note: The lighting is inaccurate for some reason, but the lighting effect it generates at runtime is so cool, I decided to leave it in. I suspect it has to do with the reversed mesh being at the exact position of the normal one prior to being combined. Just offset the reversed plane slightly to get rid of that (I'm sure).

@Voumerus: Don't worry, in the next update there will be more things to do (sorta). :)

@Gotmilk: Dynamic textures? Don't know what that means. :)

You may have to wait a bit for an animated character to arrive (or maybe even an update) because Unity's character animation system is broken. :( Although, it's stable enough to be able to specifically do what I want with enough effort. Maybe. Beta 6 also allows me to use the bloom shader now. There's also a slight performance drop and for some reason, my stats read my polycount at half of what it was! (Link)

I'll add in some more toys to play with. Anybody got ideas for some (simple) toys?

Things I've added:
    Platforms
    Double sided cloth (with bonus lighting effect)
    Monster character (not fully done yet...bloody animations don't work properly with Unity. Grumble.)
    Bloom effect

Things I will add:
    Springs! (don't ask, you'll see)
    Various things (don't know)

41. Westmark

Westmark

Hey

Looks nice and all, but haven't you just spammed the windmills from the unity 3 beta demo project?

Correct me if I'm mistaken.

42. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

You mean the windmills that are in the image effects demo video? No, my windmills are from Turbosquid and Unity's are from....I don't know (they look different too). You can get the windmill for free at Turbosquid.

Actually, it was the image effects video that inspired me to use windmills in the first place! And yes, I abused the duplicate function. :)

43. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

"@Don Gray: I don't know what that means."

The meaning is: My main game genre is the mysterious puzzle type, your scene looks really cool
    (without the signs and disco looking lights and music) and would be great in a mysterious genre game.

44. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm getting some weird grid / scan line effect in certain areas of the scene. I'm running this on my MacBook Pro with X1600 graphics / OS X 10.6.4 and at "Fantastic" quality. See the screenshots to see what I mean:

Attached Files:

45. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Hmmm....Looks like your card can't deal. Might be just a driver issue though. :?

Does it run better on lower settings?

46. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

Maybe re-download or update your drivers?

47. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

You obviously aren't on a Mac. Suffice it to say that with Mac's we don't have separate driver updates like Windows systems do, new driver updates come with an update to the OS, of which I have the very latest.

It looks like either an issue with the shader/effect you're using in those areas and/or a bug in the way Unity handles it on my system. I'm curious though, what shader or effect are you using in those areas shown? It only occurs in those specific spots, no where else I've seen.

If it's because the graphics card won't handle it, then there should be a nicer way to ignore that particular effect. Not sure if that's a Unity issue or somebody's shader issue though.

Also, yes, the issue goes away if I lower the quality setting down to "fastest" but I also loose a lot of the other effects (which I assume require per pixel lights).

I opened a bug report just in case it's a B6 issue so hopefully someone at UT will take a look.

48. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

Well, no one else seems to have it and it seems to go away when you turn the quality down. I also noticed your FPS in the screenshot is 12 frames per second. That's pretty low so I'm going to assume it's your card. Getting a new one is probably the only option unless you don't care and just want to play it on the lowest quality.

49. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I haven't actually updated the demo posted here to beta 6. So it's beta 5 actually.

Only in those spots (meaning, those two spots only)? That's really weird. There aren't any shaders in those areas that would cause any effect.

50. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

@theinfomercial - You're not using any custom shaders? Yeah, I'm thinking it's a bug in b5 then. You might want to rebuild with b6 as it fixes a number of issues, this might be one of them. I posted a bug report with a link to this thread so hopefully UT picks up on this and takes a look.