Search Unity

[Win Standalone] Log File not written to Program Files(x86)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Teku-Studios, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Hello there,

The output_log file is not being written in the Windows build of our game. Is there a way to fix this? (we are not using the command line parameters to turn the log off).

If our game is installed in a Program Files directory (currently 'Program Files(x86)'), the log file isn't written, which is really unfortunate. Our publisher requests this to approve our Gold Master and we are in a hurry, is there a solution for this? Or maybe changing the setup inside Unity so the log is created under AppData\etc (our publisher would rather want to have this under AppData\Local)?

Thanks in advance.

2. NickAtUnity

NickAtUnity

Unity Technologies

Is this a custom log or the built in Unity logger? You can see the paths used in the documentation: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html. While Windows will try to write next to the executable, generally Windows permissions in won't let apps write arbitrary files into Program Files. You should look for the log in the app data path described in the docs: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\CompanyName\ProductName\output_log.txt

Teku-Studios likes this.
  3. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

It is the 'output_log.txt' that the game itself generates by default in the Data folder. But when the game is installed under Program Files, there is no output_log file, which is really unfortunate.

I've also looked there (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\...) but there isn't anything, it is a bit concerning since now we do not have a log file at all :/

4. NickAtUnity

NickAtUnity

Unity Technologies

Which version of Unity are you using? And what version of Windows?

5. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

NickAtUnity likes this.
  6. NickAtUnity

NickAtUnity

Unity Technologies

Great, thanks for the filing the bug. That will ensure the right team gets to look at it.

Teku-Studios likes this.
  7. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

If anyone at the right team finds out anything, please post it here. I am really in a hurry with this.

8. Teku-Studios

Teku-Studios

Also, if my bug report is ever taken to the Issue Tracker site, I would like to have a link if possible so I can properly track it :) (so far I've been searching there during this past couple of days but to no avail).