Search Unity

Win a $25 Amazon Gift Card by Answering Our Survey and Sharing your Learning Experience

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Buhlaine, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

We want to hear from you! Share some of your experience learning Unity with us with this quick 5 minute survey. By participating you have a chance to win a $25 Amazon gift card. Ten winners to be selected from the users who took the survey.

Survey Link

2. methos5k

methos5k

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

I like money so I've taken the survey.

4. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Thanks, @Buhlaine for hearing. Maby text section is missing or subdivides in: books, documentation manual, documentation API, code examples, written test exams.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    Buhlaine likes this.
  5. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Very true that text can be a lot more expanded upon, I believe our team that put this together was looking for a high level of how you prefer to digest content. I'll pass along the feedback for you though!

AlanMattano likes this.
  6. Arkade

Arkade

Done, however may I ask how you're guarding against biased respondents? E.g. people who already learnt are the most likely to answer your questionaire.

7. Socrates

Socrates

Completed the survey.

I feel you left out one option on the final question. I selected that I was a hobbyist on the next to last question, which gave me three options to choose from as a follow-up. Two were that I worked in a related field; the other one was that I worked in an unrelated field and did not have aspirations to publish. My true answer would have been that I was in an unrelated field, but that I hope to one day publish (assuming I get my act together and actually finish something).

Just a thought.

8. nicolasbulchak

nicolasbulchak

Look forward to seeing what comes out of this

9. Denisowator

Denisowator

Same here.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

11. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

The survey doesn't contain an important option for
    "5. Which of the following have you used to learn Unity?"

One options is: Learning from asset store items and example projects
    This also includes Unity created assets: Courtyard demo, Blacksmith demo, Corridor example.

I learned a lot by analyzing these assets, especially the Courtyard demo.
    I also learned a lot by reading asset store item code.

Casius01 and Socrates like this.
  12. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

13. cgraf1

cgraf1

Complete

14. Balistic_penguin

Balistic_penguin

Did it, is it just one gift card that you're giving away or multiple?

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

One to ten different persons.

theolagendijk likes this.
  16. Chralex

Chralex

Some feedback on the survey itself:

When you choose that your occupation is "Student" it asks you what kind of student you are, and I've observed too often and it's starting to offend me that I'm presented with University degrees and Secondary school high school, grades 9-12) or something like that, but not any "Technical College Degrees", which are neither Bachelor, Graduate or Associate.

"Technical College Degree", may not exactly be the correct term, but it is what I get when I try to translate "Erhvervsskole" (Danish), or when I try to translate the equivalent called "Erhvervsudannelse" (Danish) i get "Vocational Training". Anyway, I know that you have some Danish employees that can explain you what that is, if you care about it.

What it actually means is it forces me to choose a lower education level than the one I'm actually going for, because it's above the lowest tier you specify but below University degrees. an "other education field" where you could write something yourself would be preferable. Also, I'd advice leaving in a question that asks "How could this survey be better?", so I don't have to write it here next time.

Buhlaine likes this.
  17. AwesomeX

AwesomeX

Completed it.

I always have a bit of trouble deciding my primary role when it comes to using Unity, and gamedev in general.
    Since I'm a 1 man team, I do everything :D

Casius01 and Buhlaine like this.
  18. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

The most difficultly part in Unity is to create activities where different game logic conditions and statements come together. The most broke on this.

19. Tommy-Core

Tommy-Core

As much as I deem it valuable to have an understanding of other creation software (Maya, Blender, what have you) - please don't get too deeply into this. There are many other fields where Unity could use some work, and many aspects of Unity itself on which one can rarely find good tutorials (especially the fairly advanced coding stuff).

Chralex likes this.
  20. Chralex

Chralex

Agreed, there are already a lot of people catering to exactly that person who needs training in software that is used to create assets for game engines. What Unity can do as a company is to "encourage" those creators to create content that is directly beneficial for development with Unity.

21. Casius01

Casius01

i think video is somewhat good for specific things and total beginners but takes way too much time. I prefer Forums and Documentation that's really the best format for me

22. Firlefanz73

Firlefanz73

Done. A unity asset store gift Card would have been as great as the Amazon gift Card. :)

23. simone9725

simone9725

Done it would be excellent if there were some tuts about how to design game assets like the same you use

24. Balistic_penguin

Balistic_penguin

When does this end?

25. B4ttleCat

B4ttleCat

Absolutely, this. I'm in a crummy job totally unrelated to making games just to pay the bills whilst I aspire to make games.

26. Jenifer_Jane

Jenifer_Jane

completed realy nice questions.. remind me alot of my old time while answering questions every single problem i solve and learn with unity that whole exp came in front of mine eyes

27. whizzkid

whizzkid

completed. I also think a 25$ asset store voucher would be better than an amazon giftcard :)

ArachnidAnimal and slaczky like this.
  28. Nyuchen

Nyuchen

Awww, Survey closed. Maybe available tomorrow again? :3

The idea from whizzkid is great, i would more love an 25$ Asset Store voucher than for Amazon.
    It keeps the Money inside the Community. ♥

29. Garrom

Garrom

(Survey is closed... i don't need money so much anyway)
    Honestly, from GitHub. I downloaded open source unity project, then open it in unity editor and googled everything on every line. Based on knowlage from other's projects i builded my own clone of downloaded project what helped me to understant usage of engine functions even more. Do this four times and you gen enough knowlage to start developing on your own. Started with Ball-rolling platformer and contidue with more and more comlex games.

30. tanoshimi

tanoshimi

Hmm. Survey unavailable. Broken or closed? (<2wks not a very long survey period!)

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

The survey is closed. :)

32. FrankenCreations

FrankenCreations

Well....no hope for cash but I'm in a sharing mood so here goes.

How did i learn unity? Short answer i didn't and never will.

Corrected question: How am i learning unity? I feel this is more accurate since unity is ever changing and already quite large. I dont think anyone ever fully learns something of this scale but instead learns enough to function and continues learning for the rest of their time spent.

Long answer.

I started my journey by opening unity and just clicking around, reading tooltips and guessing. I find this to be a good way of starting things, it helps to already know where to find the button when the tutorial telos you to click it.

After I clicked around a couple days i got to a stall point where i wasnt really getting any new info. I went through the roll a ball tutorial which i found overly simple and not very helpful. If i had started here it would have been but by this time i already hadva fair grasp of those concepts.

At this point I felt my choices were to either pay for some schooling and learn for real or just fake it till it worked. Since I have a day job and not a lot of time or cash i decided to just wing it and start a project learning as i go. For me this is where the actual learning happens. I decide to implement a feature, start trying, fail miserably and google till i get it.

Most of the knowledge I have gained has been from the api reference and the online forums here. I find the video tutorials less than helpful honestly. Some will no doubt learn well from them but I dont do well that way. The forum has been my biggest teaching tool. Most of my google questions led me to a forum topic that helped. I have not posted a topic on the forums asking a question as of yet and feel there will likely never be a need to do so. Every question I have had has been asked around 75 times and i just have to find the best answer. I would use written tutorials if they were available. They would work well for my type of learning ability.

Conclusion : The unity forums, thats the learning place for me. Its like a free college if you just search and read. I do still search the forums often, its my first effort when needing info. I hope to continue learning unity for years to come. Oh one last thing, I would like to thank all of the masters that answer these questions but I also want to thank all of the noobs like me who asked the simple questions that get you made fun of. It kept me from having to ask.

33. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

The hard way.

34. jhocking

jhocking

You should probably remove the notification from the top of the forum now that the survey is closed.

4fthawaiian likes this.
  35. 4fthawaiian

4fthawaiian

☝️ this

36. CrystalConflux

CrystalConflux

Will the results of the survey be released?

37. jaberwocky

jaberwocky

Although I missed the survey, I would like to say that it would be extremely helpful to new users or users who are not interested in learning c# if you could have much much smaller scripts in the examples that did ONE thing and that could be reused. It seems like many of the examples are designed to show off what Unity is capable and it not really focused on ease of understanding or reusable code.