Search Unity

Resolved Will you make git integration easier?

Discussion in 'Authoring Dev Blitz Day 2023' started by CaseyHofland, Jan 26, 2023.

1. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

I know about Plastic SCM and I have no complaints with it.

But ask any student or beginner and they will tell you they are starting out with git. And man oh man the dangers of git are numerous.

I'm a graduate game development student at the HKU (Utrecht School of the Arts) and I see a lot of smaller teams, especially ones that don't have a developer, struggle with git. Most think they just select the Unity .gitignore when creating a new repository and think they're fine.

But they're not fine! They still get a lot of git errors that could have easily been avoided (I know because I help a lot of these teams out from time to time). If someone has a mac, you can bet .DS_Store will frequently come to cause conflicts, and if they use FMOD it's a done deal immediately.

(speaking of the .gitignore, I've made a few improvements to it here and would hope it could get Unity's blessing, simple stuff like e.g.
    .vscode/
    .)

Not to speak of git LFS which you absolutely need to set up correctly if you want to survive in Unity. You can google templates for it but there's no official Unity .gitattributes which I feel is a missed opportunity.

Lastly, it's pretty complex to setup the UnityYAMLMerge tool (unless you're using Fork) and was wondering if that could be made easier.

So in short: will you make git integration easier?

BTStone and JesOb like this.
  2. neil_devine

neil_devine

Unity Technologies

Hey, this question is outside of the scope for today’s event and what our team can cover. We’ve notified our colleagues and they may drop by with an answer at a later point.

CaseyHofland likes this.