Search Unity

Will you get in trouble for playing your own game with ads enabled?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by ForgottenCheese, Oct 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForgottenCheese

ForgottenCheese

Do views and clicks from your own IP not get counted? Or does it count as view/click stuffing if you play your own games? For now, I'm playing with the WiFi off, but it would be good to know.

2. Salazar

Salazar

I get banned from AdMob, and I think this is because test builds.(My first app :D)
    Now I am using Unity-Ads and I dont use live-ads with my test device.
    I dont know how their tracking algoritm, but I think the algoritm doesnt have 1 variable to figure out a abuse, It should have many(IP,Device Mac ID,UID etc.).

I recommend you to read Terms of Service Part 4 PROHIBITED USES

FAQ documentation is quite new like unity ads.

It would be good if there is an option in admin panel that you can register your test device to Unity-Ads.

PS.
    I read somewhere that you can report your device UID to a email adress, but I couldnt find it now.

ForgottenCheese likes this.
  3. ForgottenCheese

ForgottenCheese

I built my final APK, so I took off test mode and had live ads. On the dashboard, it counted those views. I do hope they add device & IP registration, that would be nice.

4. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

You won't get in trouble, it'll just offset your numbers which means it might take longer to valuate your users. You only get in trouble for obvious abuse, such as intentionally inflating your numbers artificially.

We recommend that you enable test mode so you don't end up pulling actual production campaigns. You can do so by passing true as a second parameter when calling Advertisement.Initialize(). Make sure that you remove the parameter or set it back to false before submitting it for review, otherwise you're user won't see any real ads.

There is a mediation algorithm that limits how many production ads you will see over a specified amount of time. This can affect your testing efforts if test mode is not enabled. If you like, I can flag your device to bypass mediation. With this setting, none of the production ads shown on your device will count toward your stats. If you want this set, send in a private message the Google Advertising ID for your device.

To avoid artificially inflating your numbers, one thing you can do is setup a secondary testing profile for each game, for each platform you'd like to publish to. You can use a conditional statement that calls Debug.isDebugBuild, and sets the appropriate game ID based on whether or not your build is a developer build. The same can be done when enabling or disabling test mode (see example).

ForgottenCheese likes this.
  5. elmar1028

elmar1028

It would be awesome if we could do that ourselves using Admin Panel. Enter Device ID and done!

6. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Yep :) I agree. I think this may be an upcoming feature addition. I know it's been requested.

7. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

The whole testing device management/registration is indeed in our backlog, but it is not going to be done in the near future, sorry. My estimate is that this will be available at Q1/2015 earliest. (We might however work out some light-weight interim solution in the meantime)

Cheers,
    Heikki

Salazar likes this.
  8. akashajith

akashajith

Hi, I am making my first game and in the game, the user can buy lives by watching ads. Should I create a limit to watching ads or will it be okay?

9. kyle-unity

kyle-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @akashajith, you shouldn't need to add a limit to watching ads. As long as your app isn't obviously exploiting users by forcing them to watch ads over and over again, there should be no problem.

10. timcommandeur

timcommandeur

I would like to ask one follow up question. Is it ok if I watch real ads on my devices once after a release to the stores, just to check that the real ads are working properly after release? (So 2 views in total, one on Android and one on iOS)

11. Unity_Adamski

Unity_Adamski

Unity Technologies

A few times shouldn't be a problem, as long as it isn't excessive. Also don't repeatedly try installing the apps advertised as this may get flagged by our automated system.

timcommandeur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.