Search Unity

Will you apply TransformSystem to this example project in future?

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Zhang-Jie183, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Zhang-Jie183

Zhang-Jie183

Thx all for providing this excellent example.
    Spending some time learning the ECS design, I guess the major effeciency gain expectation comes from the tight data organisation so as to benefit from cpu cache. But, only value-type (struct) data are stored tightly, and object-type(class) data are still dispersive; Correct me if i am wrong.
    And I saw you developed TransformSystem which use small struct data like Position,Parent,etc which seems more ECS-like to me than tranditianal Transform component, but not yet applied to this example project. Will you apply TransformSystem to this example in future?
    By the way, what are other advantages for this kind of ECS design?
    Take the "SpinSystem" for example, what are the advantages for using a System to collect all the Spin(monobehavior) then do the work, than simply do the work in Spin.Update()?

2. Mogens_H

Mogens_H

Unity Technologies

Yes - we will continue to move stuff to "pure ECS". Especially for server side stuff.

Think of the Sample FPS project as the opposite of the ECS big city demo (
    )
    The ECS demo starts with pure ECS and pushes it towards the Unity feature set. We (Sample FPS team) start with "standard" Unity and try to push is as far as possible int pure ECS. Hopefully we will meet up at some point ;)

Zenity likes this.