Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Will WebGL support MovieTexture or alternative?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by DGordon, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DGordon

DGordon

Hello,

Is there a current plan for getting movies working in WebGL? My company is looking into switching over to Unity once WebGL is stable, but we require the ability to play cutscenes made in outside software. Is there currently any way to handle this?

Thanks!

2. sluice

sluice

I think the way to do, right now, is to play your video in html5 outside of your WebGL app.

3. DGordon

DGordon

How do I trigger a video in html5 from Unity, and then something in Unity from html5 when the video is over?

With that said, the company I work for deals primarily with Educational software that goes into schools. We just about never actually host where the final product lives. For lots of reasons why I won't bother listing (I started to but it got too big), having the video's live outside of the actual application, and thus not under the full control of the logic in the program, would simply be far too unwieldy. Videos tend to make up a large portion of what we do, but also need to feel perfectly melded with the rest of the experience.

Hopefully they figure out how to make this work :/. I really ... really ... really ... never want to have to use flash again.

4. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

If you look at the Manual for Unity 5 (the one that's locally hosted) there's a section called WebGL:Interacting with browser scripting.

Using that you can communicate back and forth with the webpage that your WebGL title is hosted on, and control your videos.

That's as good as it gets, VideoTextures for WebGL are not on the road map any time soon as far as I know.