Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will we get 5.3RC3 today?

Discussion in '5.3 Beta' started by sanpats, Nov 30, 2015.

1. sanpats

sanpats

Will we get 5.3RC3 today? I eager to test it.

2. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

i think RC3 will be the official release.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. sanpats

sanpats

If it's an official release, it wouldn't be called RC3, no?

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It'll be out on 8th Dec as planned. I doubt it'll go sooner, no point. So I'd expect an RC3 myself to be the last/final.

Then a flurry of bugfixes before everyone vanishes til Jan :p

5. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Then a flurry of bugfixes before everyone vanishes til Jan :p[/QUOTE] hopefully around performance :)

6. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

5.3.0f3 is still being tested. We're seeing if it's our final version. If so, the proper publishing time (vs. beta release) and other details will have it show up on the scheduled date, Dec 8.

Usually makes that not a bug fix but a performance improvement. And from experience, performance improvements often yield new bugs....

Jodon and hippocoder like this.
  7. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

when is Unity going to get some performance improvements? Do you know?

8. elbows

elbows

I don't think it makes sense to talk about general performance improvements, you have to be specific.

9. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Animation, physics, rendering, GUI

10. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  11. Dantus

Dantus

If you find regressions, you can submit bug reports, such that Unity can have a look at them and hopefully resolve the issue. This would help e.g. here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gui-still-needs-opitmization.353798/

According to your stats, you seem to spend quite some time to print strings to the console. If you have issues like that, it may be useful to resolve them first, before you ask Unity to optimize their product for your game.

12. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

13. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Although if you use a decent IDE it's pretty trivial to find them all. While I think Unity should strip for release builds, I'm not sure about development standalone builds.

AcidArrow likes this.
  15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There are reasons to have Debug.Log in release builds, but if you don't want it, turn off "use player log" in the settings.

Sure it would. Well, technically "f3" using Unity's naming system. So, 5.3.0f3. 5.2 was released as 5.2.0f3 since the third RC was the final build.

--Eric

16. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just make a logical post in the correct forum for the issue you're having?

18. sanpats

sanpats

But I didn't ask specifically about 5.3.0f3, I asked about whether there will be RC3 on Monday night, before the final release on Dec 8th.

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

I'm not sure what you mean. The answer to your question, "If it's an official release, it wouldn't be called RC3, no?" is "no". It will be called RC3/f3. They always have been; sometimes RC1 is the final release, sometimes RC2, sometimes RC3 (not sure if they've ever gone past RC3).

--Eric

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think there's hushed whispers of f4

21. sanpats

sanpats

What I understand is: 5.3.0f3 can be a final release. If it's decided by Unity to be a final release, f3 will be called final/official/stable release. If it is not a final release, it will be called just RC3. A Release Candidate is not a stable release by definition, it's a beta with potential to be selected as a stable release. So the question is whether there will be RC3 as another RC before the stable release on Dec 8th. Which I've already got the answer that it's still deciding by Unity.

22. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, that's not how it works. If RC3 is the final release, then nothing changes. It's called RC3 in either case. RC stands for "release candidate". If they didn't think it was possibly ready for release, it wouldn't be called RC.

--Eric

23. sanpats

sanpats

If f3 is selected as a stable release it will not be called RC3, or at least no longer. The build will be exactly the same. A release candidate is, as you said, possibly ready for release. But when it release as a stable release, it is not called RC. This is how they taught me in my college (if I'm not misunderstand my teacher), and the definitions I found on internet seem to support it. As I understand, this is industry standard definition, casual using of the term excluded. I don't know if Unity using it differently in-house, but I don't believe so. Nevertheless, it is possible that I'm wrong, but I already got the answer that RC3 will not be release yet. I don't want to continue this further.

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Good because some of us have been on alpha/beta for years and are quite familiar with Unity's naming scheme and general behaviours, not least because it's been explained multiple times by Unity staff, so yes you'd be wrong.

Every company does it a little different with it's own quirks. If your teacher doesn't realise that, then it's the teacher's fault. It's not an important discussion anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.

25. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No. It's called "legacy" because we are doing no further development on it - no new features, no new performance improvements, and only critical bug fixes.

shkar-noori likes this.
  26. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

So looks like the final release on Tuesday? as per roadmap

27. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Yup.

28. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Bit of topic not sure who to ask, but why for the past two month the patch releases been late or not on the correct date. So what was the point of the long patch plan..?

29. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

So, our Sustained Engineering team takes care of the patches and roll ups. I think they try for a weekly, but they also try and hold for various specific fixes here and there that they know are in process.

In addition, for this last month and change we've been upgrading some internal tooling infrastructure and working through some snags. So, it threw some timing off recently (for both patches as well as the betas). I think we're through those bits and being able to operate a little quicker so hopefully that timing instability introduction will go away...

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  30. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Ok I understand, thanks for the information.
    Hopefully in the new year fresh start things will go back to normal and for the better
    Cheers

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

8th of December - Still planning to release today?

32. tmammela

tmammela

Here too waiting for this update...