Search Unity

Question Will Unity take off a published preview version?

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Favo-Yang, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

I'm being asked in a GitHub issue that whether a published preview version will be removed when publishing the next preview version.

For package com.unity.render-pipelines.core. It seems used to be a preview version as "10.0.0-preview.27". But now the only preview appears for "10.0.0-preview.x" is "10.0.0-preview.30". So is that the "10.0.0-preview.27" version just being removed?

Unpublishing the existing version is not a good practice. If I have a package rely on a preview version (I know it's not a good practice either), it will fail to install because of missing a dependency version.

2. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Favo-Yang,

Indeed unpublishing existing versions is not a good practice but I don't think that's what happened here. It seems like you saw a preview version that was never published to the main registry. I can confirm that "10.0.0-preview.30" is the only "10.0.0-preview.x" version on the Unity registry at the moment but it's possible that "10.0.0-preview.27" was once bundled with a version of the editor and not published. Do you remember in which version of Unity you saw preview.27?

3. Favo-Yang

Favo-Yang

@samuelb_unity,

Thanks for the update. It's good to know that Unity won't remove a published version. I will ask the package author to provide more information.