Search Unity

Will Unity be able to run large archviz scenes?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Rad-Coders, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Rad-Coders

Rad-Coders

Goo day guys/gals.

So I've recently started to use Unity's rendering pipeline with archviz (interior) scenes for VR and demoing products. I've done quite a few scenes so far and one large one in particular. To keep the frame rate above 30fps I reduced amount of objects to... well get the 30fps target frame rate. A few minor changes to the scene can make a open space really feel cozy and "full", if it can be put in that words.

One question though. Since I've never seen a scene quite this big and complicated in Unity before (except smaller rooms, which can easily be optimized), is it possible to obtain a similar size scene with details at the cost of a decent frame rate?

I can only think of LOD's as the main optimization method. Has anyone attempted something similar? Any tips or tricks are kindly welcome.

2. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

I assume you are targeting high end desktop hardware for this. In that case, draw calls are usually the first thing to look at. Hardware instancing can help in this case, though probably only on the chess pieces. And of course single pass stereo. Beyond that, optimization. This scene looks like something that should run fine at 90 fps, when properly optimized. It's really not that big and I doubt you would really require any LOD's.