Search Unity

Resolved Will Unity Ads (legacy) still run without switching to Unity LevelPlay?

Discussion in 'Documentation' started by Cybearcode, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Cybearcode

Cybearcode

Hello,
    I'm a bit confused about the communication around Unity Ads.
    In the dashboard an announcement invites to update my package to Unity Ads 4.4.1.

But when I updated Unity Ads from 3.7.5 to 4.4.1, I received this warning

So I looked for more information about advertising with Mediation, reading the migration guide at https://docs.unity.com/mediation/AdsWithMediationMigrationGuide.html.

I started to remove the legacy Unity Ads dependencies and now I was about to install the Unity Advertisement with Mediaiton package via the package manager and I saw this note:

Now let's check on Unity LevelPlay at https://unity.com/unity-ads-ironsource.
    And here is my biggest confusion

My question is, will the Unity (legacy) ads be maintained over time or am I forced to adopt Unity LevelPlay even if I don't use the mediation?
    If not, what is correct and not up to date between all these recommendations?

Thank you for the clarification.

2. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Cybearcode

The short answer is: It's still perfectly valid to use the Advertisement Legacy package. At some point in the future, we will deprecate that legacy package, but we're still working on the timeline for that. Even then, that will just mean that Unity package won't receive updates, but the Unity Ads service will continue to work.

For some more context, at its core, the Unity Ads C# package is just a wrapper for the native iOS and Android SDKs.

When Unity Mediation was developed, they also needed a C# wrapper for the Unity Ads native SDKs. So it didn't make sense to maintain two packages that did the same thing. That was why the Advertisements package was renamed to Advertisements Legacy and the notice to move to the Mediation package was added.

Now that the ironSource merger is complete, LevelPlay is our recommended mediation solution. And it has the same overlap of a C# wrapper for the Unity Ads native SDKs. So at some point that would be our recommended solution for ads monetization in Unity. Our goal is to get the package and process to a point where it isn't a decision that needs to be made; the integration should be straightforward and the benefits should be obvious.

masterton and Cybearcode like this.