Search Unity

Question Will Unity Ads (legacy) still run without switching to Unity LevelPlay?

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Cybearcode, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Cybearcode

Cybearcode

Hello,
    I'm a bit confused about the communication around Unity Ads.
    In the dashboard an announcement invites to update my package to Unity Ads 4.4.1.
    upload_2022-11-12_18-54-27.png

But when I updated Unity Ads from 3.7.5 to 4.4.1, I received this warning
    upload_2022-11-12_18-54-45.png

So I looked for more information about advertising with Mediation, reading the migration guide at https://docs.unity.com/mediation/AdsWithMediationMigrationGuide.html.

I started to remove the legacy Unity Ads dependencies and now I was about to install the Unity Advertisement with Mediaiton package via the package manager and I saw this note:

upload_2022-11-12_18-58-3.png

Now let's check on Unity LevelPlay at https://unity.com/unity-ads-ironsource.
    And here is my biggest confusion

upload_2022-11-12_18-59-34.png

My question is, will the Unity (legacy) ads be maintained over time or am I forced to adopt Unity LevelPlay even if I don't use the mediation?
    If not, what is correct and not up to date between all these recommendations?

Thank you for the clarification.

mbhagat likes this.
  2. Unity_Adamski

Unity_Adamski

Unity Technologies

Hi, we apologize for any confusion around the recent changes to ads.
    the Advertisement (Legacy) package will eventually become unsupported. At this time we advise developers who are freshly integrating advertisements into their applications to use Level Play.
    Whilst the Advertisement (Legacy) package will be unsupported Unity Ads will still be available as an ad source in Level Play and the Android and iOS SDKs will still be available.

3. Coks

Coks

In my opinion this is a strange combination. Because if I using the Level Play I can not disable the IronSource as an advertising source. It's very BAD!

4. Emery-Monzerol

Emery-Monzerol

Hi! When you say that the Advertisement (Legacy) package will be unsupported, do you mean that for any live game currently using the legacy package, the advertisements will stop working? Could you please describe what all the expected repercussions will be for such a game when the plug gets pulled on the legacy package?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Alex-id likes this.
  5. Unity_Adamski

Unity_Adamski

Unity Technologies

Hi @Emery-Monzerol at this time I don't have the exact details. But I assure you that all of the details will be provided closer to the time

6. RSH1

RSH1

Why are there so many conflicting instructions? This is a mess.

7. Bazzajunior

Bazzajunior

I fully agree with @RSH1 - Unity Ads is a disaster at the moment. There’s three different ad systems in the Package Manager, with one of them being partnered with IronSource and then there’s their installation advice on their website - use their SDK? Use the Package Manager one? I’m just so confused now :mad:

I applied for an IronSource account and received an email asking for my bank details so that I can be charged for user acquisition (never mind the fact that emailing my bank details is just so disconcerting).

I’m now at the stage that I’ll just let my game on the Google Play Store be removed by Google when it eventually fails to meet their standards.

This is just so disappointing because whilst my game has never made any real revenue via Unity Ads, it was at least an option to effectively promote my game, with the free game pulling people across to the paid version of my game when they wanted to stop seeing the ads.

Unity is great for indie developers but it’s also becoming a mess in so many areas (don’t get me started on the hours I spent trying to fix the Package Manager). I’m now at the stage where I’m honestly considering other engines like Unreal or Godot…

8. Karmate

Karmate

I am totally lost

9. pistoleta

pistoleta

But in order to integrate LevelPlay we have to integrate the SDK and create an account with ironsource directly, correct?

10. ej-Unity

ej-Unity

Unity Technologies

11. imrankarimi009

imrankarimi009

How to fix unity sdk failed due to environment check

12. newlife

newlife

I think that @Bazzajunior is right, implementing ads in Unity has become a mess.
    I have to decide which of the three (!) packages use for my unreleased project.

Unity Ads seems the oldest one, dont know if its possible to use it for a new project
    Unity Ads with Mediation seems well supported in the dashboard
    Ironsource seems something new and not really ready (its an external package, shady procedures like asking for bank credentials via email)

I would go with Unity Ads with Mediation.

Thoughts?

DucaDiMonteSberna, Alex-id and RSH1 like this.
  13. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

I want to give a little bit of context to hopefully clear up some of the (very reasonable) confusion here.

Unity Ads refers to the Unity Ads network and the SDKs used to interface with that ad network. There is a native iOS SDK and a native Android SDK.

There is a C# wrapper for those native SDKs available in the Unity Package Manager. That package is currently called Advertisements Legacy. (It was previously just called Advertisements).

A mediation SDK integrates with multiple ad networks to potentially generate more revenue, while adding some additional complexity.

Unity developed and released a mediation SDK called Unity Mediation (Advertisements with Mediation in the Package Manager) as an option for publishers. This would include Unity Ads as a network, which meant it would have its own C# adapter to the native SDKs.

It didn't make sense to maintain two packages that are both C# wrappers for the native Unity Ads SDKs. That was the motivation for renaming the Unity Ads C# package to Advertisements Legacy and adding the message encouraging people to move to Unity Mediation.

Last year, Unity merged with ironSource, which had its own mediation SDK, LevelPlay. We opted to move forward with LevelPlay, since it was the more mature product. LevelPlay has its own C# wrapper for all of its ad networks, including Unity Ads. This is currently available as the Ads with Mediation package in Package Manager.

As Adam mentioned, LevelPlay (Ads with Mediation) is our recommended ads integration.

Unity Mediation (Advertisements with Mediation) is no longer available for new integrations. Once we have any plans to share around this, we will let you know.

The Advertisement Legacy package does still work. Once we have any plans to share around this, we will let you know.

Eristen likes this.
  14. newlife

newlife

You mean that the package Ads with mediation is currently managed by level play? Cause the documentation it says that in order to integrate level play is necessary to download an external package from level play website

15. newlife

newlife

16. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@newlife

Yes. This can be confirmed from the package documentation:
    Use the Ads Mediation package to monetize your app with Unity LevelPlay, a monetization tool that allows multiple ad networks to compete for your impressions. This package includes a suite of growth solutions, such as in-app bidding, waterfall ad strategies, A/B testing, and cross promotion.

Yeah, we are working on getting the documentation updated. Basically, you can substitute the first step in the these integration instructions with installing the Ads Mediation package from package manager:
    https://developers.is.com/ironsource-mobile/unity/unity-plugin/#step-1

Where did you see that URL linked? I don't know if that will be a valid URL or not, so if it was published somewhere, we'll get it updated to the correct site.

17. 71kris

71kris

I'd like to add that as I'm developing my project that is not published yet I had to move from Unity to Unity Mediation (with success, I got it working). Now I tried to move from Unity Mediation to LevelPlay. This is giving me headaches. Apart form getting an email to reply back with my account detail (FFS), they also requested links to stores to my app plus other details.
    As my app is not published yet I am unable to activate ironsource account so it seems! This just ridiculous.

On top of that for the last 4 days I'm fighting this not ready solution that is Level Play.

I'm unable to make IronSource DemoScene load ads to my android device.

I'm unable to load test ads to android device in my own game either.

I'm going through 3 different ads solution in a space of a year or so. Complete nightmare. I now have unity mediation merged into levelplay so I have no way back to unity mediation. levelplay is not working. Ads with Unity is a complete catastrophe if you ask me.
    Please sort it out.

18. ChakirN

ChakirN

Hello to who it may consern in unity 3d Ads I totally agree with 71kris , unity ads system is in big issues seemed like they don't know what they are doing and also not caring about devs who are tired and wasting a lot of their time , I'm tired of their recent irresponsibilty toward devs , before they had good ads system I mean Advertisement Legacy => then updated it and it was perfect initialising the ads at the start of the game ones only => then they changed to mediation beta => then mediation became official => then no mediation is under support anymore or legacy so what ?? => levelyplay and Ironsource S*** , a lot of integrations and nothing clear or working well but even thought I totally managed to deal with it ((integrating it + fixing the resolver dependencies and gradlew.bat file people went though this can understand what I'm saying)) for about a week of hard work and tests but always the same issues , ads not shwowing properly and they way I want and as I used to do before under test not the charboost one or ironsource , but neither unity interstitial the only one I can see on test is unity banner and rewarded video , also their mediation sucks because even I change the placement name to the ironsouce one still showing unity test only , anyways by the end I'm stucked here not being able to use lagacy and mediation and levelplay they should have been staying on their legacy only was perfect . this is just me simple dev doesn't have any power to change anything and besides that the day when they decide what to do and what is better for them and go on beta and official version and after a year I can think back of using Unity mobile ads . good luck everybody :(

DucaDiMonteSberna, Alex-id and Hoorza like this.
  19. timbo_unity

timbo_unity

Is there plans for the IS mediation solution to be refactored so it works 'neatly' with the package manager and feels more 'native'. ie no need for IS account, all managed through the Unity hub, I can essentially turn off everything except Unity Ads and have a 'Unity Ads Only'-like end result?

Currently it is a bit of a mess.

Installing Unity Ads tells you to use Unity Mediation. Then Untiy Mediation says its no longer being 'enhanced' and to move on the IS mediation. Oof.

Alex-id and RSH1 like this.
  20. timbo_unity

timbo_unity

We just want a nice, clean integration experience. Unity Ads (Legacy) is perfect - easy and clean. No project bloat.

DucaDiMonteSberna, Alex-id and RSH1 like this.
  21. timbo_unity

timbo_unity

Also is there an ETA on how long Unity Ads Legacy will be supported?

22. mbhagat

mbhagat

One thing you forgot to mention.
    Mediation was supported through external tar ball before few months.
    Now it has changed too.
    First I was looking here and there. Then found aha now it comes with package maanger.
    Then oh no , you need to go for another product called level play,
    Oh no you have to make account with them too. Oh share app link oh share bank details.
    We have enough time to waste in our life , do not we have plenty of time?

Unity thinks we developer get dream about product they are going to launch and they are super easy to integrate.
    No email , no notification , suddenly product implementation strategy changes over the night .
    Shame on you !

23. hippogames

hippogames

I also was really confused. Don't use Ads Legacy, use Ads with Mediation. Then don't use Ads with Mediation, use Iron Source. So I'm thinking about to continue using Ads Legacy till this chaos will end. Also want to know about ETA on how long Unity Ads Legacy will be supported.

24. newlife

newlife

Im also interested in this. Hopefully some Unity guy will reply ASAP

DucaDiMonteSberna and Alex-id like this.
  25. TangoChen

TangoChen

Same as most of you here. My first time trying to integrate ads with Unity went through setting up Unity Ads(Legacy?) => Advertisement with Mediation(Not supporting as well? Okay I'll use the latest thing) => LevelPlay(Cannot build) => 3rd party asset(Cannot build) => Maybe trying Unity Ads again. It's been several days without success.

I'm using Macbook with M1. I cannot build one Ad demo on my iOS device. There were issues building a proper Xcode project with cocoapods(solved), Admob(bitcode issue). Now I'm trying to use Unity Ads with Unity Mediation and got a new issue: [Mediation]: Warning, failed to retrieve game id from Dashboard on Unity 2022.2.9. I'm not providing details here(They are too many to summarize at once, I've been trying to solving them one by one with other posts) but I mean, it is very disappointing with all these changes and mess at the moment. I hope to see the day integrating ads with Unity becomes easy and stable. But it may not be that soon. It's already going to affect many people' plans and progress on their new apps.

mbhagat and Alex-id like this.
  26. BurningthumbStudios

BurningthumbStudios

I want to add my voice here. I started with IronSource. What a disaster. I couldn't get it to serve ads at all. Their advice was to try their sample project (when I went for support) which is no support at all. In the end I just reverted back to Unity's Legacy system since its easy to integrate.

To the folks at Unity. You have created a nightmare for developers. Do you not understand that? What you need to do is make the new system, easy to use like the old system, and then transition to it. I wasted two weeks on IronSource thinking it was the right thing to do.

Overall, and I don't know why the folks at Unity are not hearing this, you really messed this up and you need to fix it. An apology would be a good place to start.

27. CzlLebleu

CzlLebleu

At this point, learning C++ sounds easier than building a game with IronSource.

Eristen, mbhagat, Alex-id and 2 others like this.
  28. zuanzike

zuanzike

I spent 2 or 3 days handle ironSource things,when I build to xcode,it's ok,when I run on my iPhone,it's faled,I give up;
    Iron source or LevelPlay is nightmare;
    Unity with mediation is life killer;
    We just want only UnityAds! it's fast! clean!

Alex-id likes this.
  29. hippogames

hippogames

Try Google Ads then)

DucaDiMonteSberna likes this.
  30. Yasuyuki

Yasuyuki

Unity Technologies

Yes, this is one of the options you can choose :)
    I'm sorry for the confusion regards to the transition to LevelPlay from Unity Ads. Our development team is currently working diligently to make the implementation of LevelPlay even more accessible within the Unity Editor. Thanks for your patience and please bear with me until we update our ads package with deeper integration.

31. zuanzike

zuanzike

Yes, that's exactly what I expected. If levelPlay can be integrated as easily as Unity Ads, then I would be very happy to use it

hippogames likes this.
  32. hippogames

hippogames

Hope this will happen soon. I'm still using old Unity Ads and was unable to upgrade (

Alex-id likes this.
  33. CreativeUrge

CreativeUrge

John Riccitiello is destroying this company and you all know it...

34. berukulama

berukulama

The use of levelplay should be like using unity ads, and it should be accessed from the dashboard and used in the same way. Impositions are not good and do not turn out well. Unity should take into account the wishes of the developers in this regard.

35. _geo__

_geo__

Is there any migration path for users who (like me) have a Unity Ads account AND an old IronSrc account?

Will the IronSrc backend be merged into the Unity Ads backend or will the UnityAds backend be merged into IronSrc? Will the accounts be merged at all?

Why is the latest update on the package from DECEMBER 2022?
    Looks like a stale solution already. Has something changed? Should users get it from ironsrc directly?
    upload_2023-8-22_13-55-58.png

My advice to those having trouble with IronSrc. Do what @hippogames recommended and keep using the legacy ads sdk until the merger is complete on a technical level. Give them time. They will sort it out.

Over the course of the last 10 years I have been integrating a least 10 to 15 different sdks on mobile and I can tell you that IronSrc was a blessing for mediation integration. Their SDK "just worked". I am positive they will get it done. Let's just hope they do before Google and Apple force us all to a newer SDK.

berukulama likes this.
  36. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Just wanted to add my voice that it is very confusing right now

37. wdrury

wdrury

Our project never set up Waterfalls or used Unity Mediation, instead using the basic "Advertisement Legacy" and the "Unity" Ad Source.

Under Project Settings > Mediation Partner, it shows:

Mediation Partner Unity (not mediated)

On this undated blog post https://unity.com/unity-ads-ironsource it says:

On October 1, 2023 we will end support for Unity Mediation and ad serving will be discontinued.

My question for @ap-unity @ej-Unity @Unity_Adamski or anyone else at Unity is this ... what actually happens on October 1? We don't think we are using Unity Mediation, but will ads shown using Advertisement Legacy and using only the Unity Ad Source continue to show?

_geo__ likes this.
  38. Yasuyuki

Yasuyuki

Unity Technologies

The short answer is Yes.
    Unity Mediation will sunset on Oct 1st and no longer support it. Unity Mediation is a tool/service to orchestrate many ad networks with many ad network SDKs. The service will stop on Oct 1st, which means Unity Mediation APIs will return errors due to server shutdown. Advertisement Legacy package is a bridge between Unity C# and native Unity Ads' SDK, which will directly send ad requests to Unity Ads network so it won't be affected by Unity Mediation discontinuation.
    However, please note that Advertisement Legacy package will NOT be updated in the future. If you'd like to use the latest SDK in the Unity C#, you'll need to install Unity LevelPlay package.

39. 00christian00

00christian00

@Yasuyuki @ap-unity
    I had a look at Levelplay documentation and it's not very inspiring when Unity didn't even bother to integrate the documentation in their own website and refactor the code to change from Ironsource to Levelplay.
    It is pretty obvious that this is super temporary again and you will force in a few months developers to change the integration for the thousandth time when Levelplay will be really part of Unity, and not a rushed acquisition.
    Why do you continue to do so?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    Hoorza and DucaDiMonteSberna like this.
  40. hippogames

hippogames

That's a good question. Looks like they don't know what to do with ironSource after purchasing it.

Eristen and DucaDiMonteSberna like this.
  41. DucaDiMonteSberna

DucaDiMonteSberna

I join the confused voices and I'll stick to legacy ads for now
    And AdMob ofc

Last edited: Nov 2, 2023
    Eristen likes this.
  42. ngfilms

ngfilms

it seems you dont need unity legacy ads or unity mediation if you're using admob, can this be right?

43. DucaDiMonteSberna

DucaDiMonteSberna

i use both with a 50-50% chance per session

44. Hoorza

Hoorza

Looks like it is AdMob for now as well. Look how long people have been confused with it. It is over a year and still people struggle.

I have been struggling with this BS for weeks and quickly losing the will to solve it. Gradle errors, 3 different packages, separate IS account, what a mess is this? The final straw was today when trying to set up payment methods with Iron Source they asked me to fill in an American tax return !!!!WTF is that? I live and work in Europe. Why am I supposed to give my tax information to the IRS?? Is it only me who is finding this ridiculous?

DucaDiMonteSberna likes this.
  45. _geo__

_geo__

If it's the W-8BEN or W8-BEN-E form you are refering to then this is quite normal and they are required to do this (any company in the US paying a foreigner has to do it).

Since you are from Europe the chances are high that your country has a tax treaty with the US and you will not have to pay any tax in the US. If you do not fill it out then your payout will be delayed until you do. If you don't claim a tax treaty in the form then they may deduct 20-30% witholding tax from your payout.

I am not sure if signing up for an IronSrc account is still necessary. Better just sign up for Unity Ads and use that account. I would assume IronSrc will be closed down eventually once all their services have been merged with Unity Ads.

46. Hoorza

Hoorza

Thanks for the answer @_geo__ , the tax thing comes from UNITY itself now as they have started with another company to process payments (my guess), which I am guessing is USA-based. It just gets progressively more difficult to make anything, GDPR, privacy policies, google policies.. F**ing nonsense, sorry for the rant. Also, I am not sure if they are planning to close down IronSource and merge it with Unity Ads completely, do you know that or you are guessing that?

47. _geo__

_geo__

I think they will eventually merge IronSrc customer accounts to Unity Level Play so it may not matter much. Though I am pretty sure Unity Ads is their advertisement brand for the future, not IronSrc. I had (still have) an ironsrc account and a Unity Ads account and I have seen them merge IronSrc stuff to UnityAds (not the other way round) so I'd say it's an educated guess from my side.

Their payment provider is Tipalti. They are an independent company used by many others too (Microsoft for example). Their old payment provider was WorldPay. Both are independent companies. Tipalti manages not only the payout but also the tax forms. The tax form may look like it's coming from Unity itself because it's wrapped in a nice iframe on their website but that's just them using Tipaltis white-label integration. IronSrc has been using Tipalti for a long time and currently UnityAds payouts are migrating from WorldPlay to Tipalti.

If you do fill out the tax from on IronSrc now you may have to do it again once you switch to Unity Ads because even though it ultimately is handled by the same company (Tipalti) Unity and IronSrc are probably still separate customers to them. That's another reason why I'd recommend going with Unity Ads and just drop IronSrc.

But ofc I could be wrong.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024 at 4:32 PM
    Eristen likes this.
  48. Hoorza

Hoorza

Hey @_geo__ . I appreciate your information. I will look it up more based on what you are saying. I might wait until they sort it out and Unity Ads are clearer to deal with. Maybe I will do some Ad Mob ads for now. Thanks again.

_geo__ likes this.
  49. stenu2nd

stenu2nd

I have now spent a good amount of time figuring out how to integrate this LevelPlay instead of Advertisement Legacy. The result is bunch of back and forth linking between Unity and ironSource, dashboard setup guides and solid instructions on how the press an "install" button.

How do I replace the old unity ads with LevelPlay? Is there an example code for this? Everywhere it's just explained how to install and set it up, but not the actual integration - i.e. code.

1. Remove legacy ads
    2. Install LevelPlay
    3. Install Unity Ads from LevelPlay network manager
    4. Set up things on ironSource and Unity cloud dashboards
    5. ???

ejoflo likes this.