Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice

Question will unity 2024 have these features like Realtime caustics and thin film based on the new tech?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by danfaith, Jan 23, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danfaith

danfaith

2. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

Path-Tracing and Real-Time are not things that get together very well (with some rare exceptions for the moment).

For the thin film effect visible in the video, it is already possible to achieve it in HDRP with anisotropy.

For caustics, I'm less confident about it. I'm not sure about how it is done in this blender asset, but I suspect something comparable to a light cookie based on the object geometry. It might be possible to hack this in HDRP with some custom code, but it is not on our roadmap, but feel free to submit your idea.
    Also, note that it is not really "real-time". It is fast, I'm not debating it, but it is using Blender's Cycles renderer, which is an offline Path-Tracer.

3. danfaith

danfaith

when will your team have realtime path tracing rtx 5000 series or can ai help?

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, the lightmapper could produce them and bake them, both refractive and reflective.

5. nuFF3

nuFF3

Considering TrueTrace by Pjbomb2 has caustics, very good ones at that, I don't think caustics would be impossible.
    It's a very impressive path tracer, and I would hope you guys at Unity would take at least some inspirations, like caustics, and ASVGF denoiser for realtime applications.

But then again the Unity path tracer already has "caustics", just not from light sources other than emissive surfaces. https://forum.unity.com/threads/caustics.831292/#post-8270673

6. danfaith

danfaith

Yes but we need realtime Caustics for game play not trailer just to be clear

7. danfaith

danfaith

Considering TrueTrace by Pjbomb2 has caustics, very good ones at that, I don't think caustics would be impossible.
    It's a very impressive path tracer, and I would hope you guys at Unity would take at least some inspirations, like caustics, and ASVGF denoiser for realtime applications.

But then again the Unity path tracer already has "caustics", just not from light sources other than emissive surfaces. https://forum.unity.com/threads/caustics.831292/#post-8270673

8. impheris

impheris

I can understand the point for renders... but why would someone need realtime caustics in a game?

9. danfaith

danfaith

we demand the most accurate simulations for our violent shooters

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I mean, for things to look cool?

Again, IMO, the lightmapper should bake all non view dependent shading effects (from the top of my head, reflective and refractive caustics and SSS).

11. impheris

impheris

you don't need realtime caustics on a game to look cool... there are many many games as a examples and in fact less the 1% will notice... remember, it is a game. I know is good to push for new tech, but i can not find a real point for realtime caustics xD
    Edit: i mean don't let that to stop you i guess haha

12. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You don't need anything on game for it to look cool, you don't even need Unity, but here we are.

Also I'm not talking about realtime caustics, I'm talking about baked caustics.

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also, what does that mean?

14. danfaith

danfaith

15. danfaith

danfaith

why has unity not added the god cyberpunk path tracing for realtime no body cares about offline renders you can just use vray or corona render or octane we want realtime caustics for god realism

16. impheris

impheris

maybe i missed it but i did not see any realtime caustics on that video either... can you explain to us why you need so much those realtime caustics on your violent shooters "for god realism"?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  17. Misaki_eKU

Misaki_eKU

How can a game be both performance and accurate? It's a game not film.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  18. spiney199

spiney199

This feels like the same person who was spamming "can Unity use AI to stop hackers in multiplayer games" and other daft things some weeks ago.

19. danfaith

danfaith

the whole point of a simulation is to be accurate

20. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Closed for trolling. Warning sent.

mgeorgedeveloper and Qleenie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.