Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Unity 2020.1 make ProGrids obsolete?

Discussion in '2020.1 Beta' started by georgeq, Sep 29, 2019.

1. georgeq

georgeq

I have to say I've never used ProBuilder before, but according to some tutorials, in order to be effective in its use, you also need to install ProGrids. One of the first things I noticed after installing 2020.1, are the "toggle grid visibility" and "toggle snap" buttons, on the Scene's tool bar, so I didn't install ProGrids. I've been using ProBuilder for a couple of hours, and it looks to me like the native grid system covers any aspect you may need. So if ProGrids becomes obsolete on 2020.1, then why I steel see if on the Package Manager?... or what's the reason to keep it alive?

2. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

The new Snaps and Grid options are a native integration of ProGrids. If you install Progrids you will see they have the exact same options. The only difference is that ProGrids can have colored Grid per axis. Also, this is in 2019.3 as well. It's the first version that it got integrated in. Maybe after 2019.3 is released they will hide ProGrids from that version forward.

3. georgeq

georgeq

I can live without colors. So... basically, I not missing anything important by not installing it. Thank you!

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I much prefer built in Unity grid, I think Unity should just drop progrids. It's a pointless investment.

Alverik likes this.
  5. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Heya folks! Sorry for the late reply, been on vacation. ProGrids still exists as a package because we care about all the users on pre-19.3! :) They need Grids, too ;) Feel free to ignore it in the Package Manager if you are on 19.3 and above.

6. CRYWOLF86

CRYWOLF86

The integrated system is just a slightly improved version of the old system. Its missing pro grid features, like auto snap and scene view gui. Wtf unity? What gives?

Incole and eudendeew like this.
  7. CRYWOLF86

CRYWOLF86

First our post processing gets potatofied and now this. Please stop "improving" unity.

billyo0805, foldupjosh and eudendeew like this.
  8. CDF

CDF

eudendeew likes this.
  9. greg-harding

greg-harding

We have been using ProGrids for a while and are just upgrading from 2019.2 to 2019.3. I just did some testing in 2019.3.15 and the built-in grids and snapping is a bit flakey and is missing a few minor features of ProGrids. The built-in snapping only works when the tools are in global mode, and the increment snap feature only worked once or twice and then ignored the values and only snapped to whole numbers.

So, will stick to ProGrids until it dies I guess.

Blepius likes this.
  10. useraccount1

useraccount1

I have to agree with previous posts. The new grid system is nothing but one big regression of the workflow and removal of the most basic features. Progrids is still a way to go in terms of level creation and for now It's better to pretend that new build into the editor system doesn't exist. They didn't even finish their documentation page.

11. codeedward

codeedward

I just started watching tutorials with ProBuilder and ProGrids. I don't see ProGrid package in unity 2020.1.0f1 package manager, unfortunately. So what left for me is to use build-in grid system. However I am not sure it supports snapping for edges and vertices. Couldn't really make it working with native unity grid system. Anyone experience same issues?

Krypton0 likes this.
  12. useraccount1

useraccount1

The progrids was never pushed to verified/ production ready status because It wasn't working with 2d stuff so it always was "preview package". Now the problem is that in 2020.1 they decided to hide stuff like progrids so they won't have to deal with too many bugs.

From what I understand, progrids still can be installed from the package manager, but it simply isn't visible by default and has to be changed in project settings:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/package-manager-updates-in-2020-1-beta.883390/

However, If you want to play around some other experimental packages, you have to also know about this:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/visibility-changes-for-preview-packages-in-2020-1.910880/

I personally recommend to simply forget about built in grid system because It's really an awfull tool with terrible workflow and without the most basic features that progrids does have.

Incole, Fnab and AdemYuksel like this.
  13. You're wrong. They did not do such a thing so far.

You can install it this way:
    screenshot1.png screenshot2.png

Use the
    com.unity.progrids
    name.

14. foldupjosh

foldupjosh

15. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

hey guys, a noob question, how i can see my native (Unity 2021) more visible on screen?

I found. :)

16. rjawaji

rjawaji

late reply but you will have to enable preview packages in order to find and install progrids,

17. mirajane22

mirajane22

THANK YOU SO MUCH AFTER 5 HOURS OF TRYING TO FIND HOW TO GET PROGRIDS THIS WORKED

18. thiolimor

thiolimor

Pro Grids is a preview package so it is hidden by default but you can still acess it as such:
    In the Package Manager click on the cog and "Advanced Project Settings"
    upload_2022-3-6_19-39-2.png

Then enable "Enable Preview Packages"
    upload_2022-3-6_19-40-8.png

ProGrids should be in the "Unity Registry" Package group. Be sure to refresh the package list in the arrow below.
    upload_2022-3-6_19-42-37.png

19. Blepius

Blepius

Can anyone confirm if the weird behaviors with the new Grids mentioned above chalked up as known behaviors? or are these possible user error?

I've also been experiencing compounding rounding errors when trying to snap to a whole number grid. I can also confirm flaky grid step behavior, but it's hard to get it to reproduce.

Going to switch back to ProGrids for now..

Is it possible to remove Grids?

20. FoodFish_

FoodFish_

In ProGrid, I was able to move the grid up and down using "[", "]". This is no longer the case with built-in grid. This feature is sorely lacking, preventing us to migrate to built-in.

One thing that I have adopted in my workflow that would break if progrid was ever removed, I snap using unity and use progrid (which has better visuals). This allows me to snap to smaller/larger units than the grid. This is useful because when enabling very small grid size, you get easily disoriented. One way Unity, you could fix this is by allowing use to snap to different grid size than the actual grid.

Last edited: May 19, 2023