Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will this system support MMO games?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by kro11, Sep 30, 2019.

1. kro11

kro11

In what direction is Unity Multiplayer developing? Will this system good for MMO games?

I am creating an MMO game in which it will be possible to trade with other players, as well as synchronize loot. (the system will be similar to Path of Exile). The most important thing is to create a single database of existing items from players that will be stored for a long time. As well as the ability to whisper between different servers (use separate servers for chat and for information about loot?).

Development is likely to take a lot of time, but I'm trying to decide on a multiplayer system. I thought about SpatialOS, but it's too expensive. Maybe there are any thoughts on this?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The new networking stack doesn't itself implement anything you mentioned other than the network communication.

3. g_a_p

g_a_p

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
    kro11 likes this.
  4. runner78

runner78

In one oft the Unite talk was mentioned, that solutions for use cases like MMO and strategy games will be come later.

5. TwoTen

TwoTen

I spoke to some devs at Unite and the gist I got out of it was that they had no plan going forward for other architectures aside from the FPS one they are currently working on.