Search Unity

Will they remove GUI/GUILayout?

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by Staples, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Staples

Staples

Given that they are adding new methods for doing UI, do you think they will remove GUI/GUILayout?

Or..

Will they be keeping GUI/GUILayout since they need to use it for the editor IDE anyway?

I'm a bit worried that they might remove it at some point, and I have built a big system around GUI/GUILayout with toolbars, menu's etc., stuff that might would be very cumbersome with the new method which I think is in 3D space.

Alternatively, if they aren't going to remove it, do you think they will improve it? Would be nice to have some more elements like a built in dropdown etc.

2. orb

orb

It's going to stick around a long time exactly because of its use in the editor. They said there are no particular plans, but possibly, maybe, at some point in time, they'll make something better.

The new method isn't stuck to 3D space. The default canvas is a 2D overlay. Go have a look, as the beta is open :)

3. Staples

Staples

Good that it is a 2D overlay, however does it support all of the features that a normal GUI would? (I.e does it have enough features that they could build the Unity IDE from it, as my GUI is just about as detailed as that - tooltips, modal dialogs, hover detection, dropdowns, sliders etc).

It would be an insane amount of work to convert it either way though, so as long as they don't remove the current GUI I'll be okay.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The new GUI is made with GameObjects that have various components, so it's not appropriate for use as an editor GUI replacement. It's primarily for constructing GUIs visually, though it can be done programmatically by instantiating objects and adding components in code.

--Eric

5. Staples

Staples

Yeah that's what I thought. I guess my worry was that they might think developers only need the new UI and disable the old methods.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, it'll stay. It's great for quick & dirty prototyping, plus its so heavily used in the editor, it would be fairly impossible to extract.