Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

VR Will there eventually be a Unity API for Room Scale?

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by greggtwep16, Apr 26, 2016.

1. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I realize that for most things related to just the HMD the UnityEngine.VR namespace has an API that makes cross platform possible at the moment. However anything related to room scale (a play area, VR controllers, etc.) is not present.

Is there anything like that in the works even if it's a long timetable? The HTC Vive is out for room scale, and Oculus Touch and PSVR will be coming in the fall and there are dev kits available now so I was wondering if there are plans for a room scale and VR input API?

Currently I can just target Valve's API directly but I hate knowing that I'm essentially going to have to reimplement this stuff later.

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I realize things might not be known and certainly can change. I'm not looking for a timeline but rather a Unity representatives opinion on whether this is being considered at some point. I don't know who is the best to answer either, whether it's the VR employees, the new input team, or the legacy input team.

Anyone from Unity have any feedback? @thep3000 @Ed unity @runevision @Rene Damm

3. elbows

elbows

Maybe better to ask in the VR subforum?

4. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

There is a thread there as well. So far with no response.

5. runevision

runevision

We are aiming at cross-system support for VR controllers in the new input system. However, this may not be finished by this fall, so it might not be something you can just wait for right now.

As for other aspects of room scale support, I'm not currently sure. I have brought up the question internally with a link to this thread.

6. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Thanks for the response Rune. I will continue down my current path of using each of the different sdk's then.

There does seem to be a common denominator where a cross platform room scale API would be possible, at least for left hand, right hand, and buttons similar to what is in the UnityEngine.VR namespace for the HMD currently.

I'm sure there will be some unique items to each API (similar to how IOS now has 3D force touch and others don't) but there should be enough of a common ground to at least make a cross platform room scale API possible and it would lift a huge burden for VR input if it's done.

Do you know is this work only being considered internally for the new input system or is there a chance to see this from either of the existing systems (UnityEnigine.VR work or the legacy input system)? Just curious as to if it definitely won't arrive until the new input system is done.

7. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

We plan to unify as many features as possible across the various SDKs. I can't say for sure if unified room information will come before or after input, but it is something that is being considered.

8. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Thanks for the responses guys. If you ever do an alpha in a private google group (similar to those that I've joined before for Apple TV, Windows phone, asset store, etc.) certainly send me an invite.

In addition to doing a room scale game, I also will be authoring an input asset for the Vive in the next few weeks, and certainly would like that to be cross platform when Oculus Touch comes out if at all possible rather than having two different code bases. I realize given the timelines that isn't going to be possible based on Unity being on the planning stages currently, but I certainly wish to become an early adopter if/when such an API becomes available.