Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Will the WheelCollider get a overhaul?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheIrrlicht, Jul 1, 2020 at 6:19 AM.

1. TheIrrlicht

TheIrrlicht

It's just a pain to get your car physics right. Please make some changes.

2. ippdev

ippdev

Perhaps you would like to elaborate on exactly what issues you are having. It may be you that need to make changes.

I have used them for both motorcycles and four wheel vehicles. With so many co-dependent variables that lead to varied outcomes and little knowledge of actual vehicle and tire physics i was able to tweak them to get good looking and drivable simulations out of them. Mind you the things like suspension in a motorcycle still elude me currently but i will return to them and fiddle about trying to understand what the parameters, which are not as well explained and exampled as other systems in the Unity manual and API, actually are doing and which to use for example to make a front chopper forks suspension system work and look natural as they are at a 45 degrees angle or the rear where the suspension between the fulcrum and the rear wheel is about 30 degrees and not simply an up down system.

You may need to write sub-systems to assist in having correct looking behavior. For example, in the motorcycle sim if I had it set up where the motorcycle drove just dandy on a flat surface i ran into issue where if you did not already have rigidbody velocities at a high enough level a steep hill climb would stall out the vehicle with the wheel rpm still cranking. So I read the slope incline and the wheel rpm and when the rpm exceeded a certain discoverable ratio I would add force in the local z direction to assist in slope navigation. On tire friction I found that if i executed a sharp turn that would not flip a real world motorcycle the tires would grab hard and flip the motorcycle on its side. So i decreased the sideways tire friction and added a counterslip force in the x axis that kicked in based on how tight the steering radius was.

unityunity