Search Unity

Question Will the ugui be updated with new content?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Breamax, Jan 26, 2024.

1. Breamax

Breamax

The focus of unity seems to be all in uitoolkit, and ugui doesn't seem to have anything new except TextMeshPro. Such as the display of 3D objects on the UI, the display of particle effects on the UI (including VFX), it seems that there is no official solution, which is dealt with by the community. In addition to these, there are some practical things that have not been updated, such as limiting the maximum size of UI elements, better performance ScrollView, and so on. Uitoolkit I prefer to use in the editor, and I still find ugui more useful at runtime. So I wish the ugui had more content to make it easier to use.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

We are committed to ensuring the stability of UGUI through ongoing bug fixes, although we do not have any immediate plans to introduce new features. Instead, our primary focus this year will be directed towards enhancing the runtime aspect of UI Toolkit.

3. CodeRonnie

CodeRonnie

These videos show how you can use camera stacking in URP to achieve UI with 3D elements and VFX. Unfortunately the second video is in Korean. I haven't gone through the process of trying to get this working in my own projects yet, but it is on my to-do list for future UI work. I'm not sure how well this technique works with supporting multiple aspect ratios, which I think is a crucial issue. You want your 3D elements to stay in certain places on various screens.

You can also render your 3D elements and VFX to a texture, and then display that render texture in your UGUI Canvas. That should take care of any screen layout issues. Here are some videos that explain how to do that.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
  4. Breamax

Breamax

Using a camera stack does solve these problems, but there are many others. Displaying 3d objects is fine, because a ui generally does not have too many 3d objects, but VFX in a ui may have many, their levels will be different, which leads to the need for many cameras to render them, which is not small consumption, but also very tedious.

5. Breamax

Breamax

Will UIToolKit be the recommended ui solution in the future? Will UGUI be replaced gradually?

6. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Yes that's been the plan for some time now.
    To have a single UI system for both editor and runtime.

JuliaP_Unity likes this.