Search Unity

Will the new imput system handle touches ?

Discussion in 'Input System' started by Kiupe, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Kiupe

Kiupe

Hello,

Touchscreen are everywhere and are the primary input on mobile. I completely consider a touchscreen as an input device which has "standard" inputs/events like touch/tap, double touch/tap, swipe, rotate etc. It would be great that the new Input System can support by default a touch screen device like it does with keyboard, DPad etc. That a thing ReWired does and I think it's pretty useful for mobile game developer.

Thanks.

Arkade likes this.
  2. Rene-Damm

Rene-Damm

We have some working touch support (see Touchscreen) but we still have some way to go. A round of updates for touch is planned to hit the package release after the next. Overall, there's a chance that touch in the initial 1.0 package will only be en par roughly with where the old input system's touch support is but we have plans to build this out further. First step will be getting the basics nailed down, though. Then it's on to some higher level features. Gestures will likely be part of that.

Overall goal is definitely to have touch support on equivalent level to other devices.

MrMatthias likes this.
  3. Kiupe

Kiupe

You made my day !