Search Unity

will the monobehaviour way be deprecated when ecs is out?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by hakankaraduman, Dec 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hakankaraduman

hakankaraduman

Hi,

I was using unity for the last 4 years but I got involved in a web development job and couldn't keep track of the news for the last year. So I have some questions, I looked for the blog posts and roadmap videos on the youtube but can't understand/can't find info about these.

1- Is ecs out fully and production ready?
    2- Will the monobehaviour way (the way before ecs) be deprecated when ecs is out and production ready?
    3- Is there a timeline announced somewhere about ecs?

I also learned that there are two ways to use ecs, hybrid and pure, also the new multiplayer system.
    4- What is the choice for a team which want to develop a new project, a multiplayer game? Is the new multiplayer system compatible with the monobehaviours or we will need to learn and use the pure ecs way?
    5- Lastly, is the hybrid ecs way a transition phase?

2. orb

orb

Far from ready. Farther from replacing Monobehaviour fully. The Tiny stuff lets you do a subset of things fully in ECS (2D, tilemaps, simple GUIs, input, sound), but the main ECS & jobs stuff doesn't even have the conveniences Tiny's tooling, limited as it is.

And the old way is likely to stay in for along time, as their plan is to merge Tiny and main ECS, so that when you write ONLY ECS the Monobehaviour stuff isn't compiled in.

I think their timeline had a lot of "when it's ready" dotted across it :)

3. thelebaron

thelebaron

While I don't speak for unity, they have never said monobehaviours are going away, anywhere or even a whiff of a hint of it.

Hybrid is just that, a mix of using the old and new, for some it will be a temporary transition mode, others it will be just that, a blend of both where you dont need to use pure ecs.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's no plan to depreciate monobehaviour. All your questions are answered multiple times in this area of the forum, so I'll lock this now.

Feel free to open a specific thread per individual issue for what isn't answered though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.