Search Unity

Will SRP ever be usable for webGL?

Discussion in 'Web' started by Sannyasi, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Sannyasi

Sannyasi

As stated....
    Would a custom scriptable render pipeline work for a WebGL build? Or is this too far a stretch of what It's capable of given the platform limitations? The current beta and LWRP don't seem to work.

Reason I ask is because there are currently too many inconsistencies with the current webGL output.
    Specifically I'm trying to remain consistent looking and compatible with safari even on mobile. (ie webGL 1.0 / OpenGL ES 2).

I haven't exhausted my research into Unity for this task yet, but I can say that Three.js does work better (ie consistent on every browser).
    I'd like to not have to invent new tools and core pipelines to accomplish what should be a simple task. I'd much rather spend time learning SRP :) .

andrzej_cadp likes this.
  2. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Hey, the LWRP is planned to eventually work on WebGL but is currently not a high priority for the team since it is still a preview/experimental feature.
    The HDRP will most likely never work since it relies on a lot of wizardly things not available in WebGL.

createtheimaginable likes this.
  3. Sannyasi

Sannyasi

Thanks for the reply!

In the meantime would even a most basic custom SRP work on webGL, or are there infrastructure changes needed before these components even work within webGL?

4. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Not sure about what "most basic" is, but as I said, LWRP is also still not working atm.

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Any update on this @Schubkraft
    Its been more than a year and WebGL is a big platform to not support. A lot of clients require things to run in a browser, and being able to leverage LWRP would be beneficial to a lot of people.

6. Kino-san

Kino-san

Hi @Schubkraft , Coming here from a reddit post that had the same question. Any news on this?

7. TommyTheITGuy

TommyTheITGuy

Was very disappointed to learn SRP does not support WebGL, especially since our jam game required a WebGL build. It could've looked so much better :(

8. De-Panther

De-Panther

I tried it a few weeks ago by hints of one of the Unity devs, and had a build with LWRP.
    If you want to support WebGL1.0 you need to disable lots of stuff.
    Or you can change your player settings to support only WebGL2.0

9. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

LWRP should work with WebGL 2.0. If it doesn't please do file a bug report.

Rallix and De-Panther like this.
  10. Katori

Katori

Yes, LWRP works on WebGL 2.0. Thank you Unity and @Schubkraft .