Search Unity

Question Will pathtracing see improvements from similar to Cyberpunk 2077?

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by sacb0y, May 24, 2023.

1. sacb0y

sacb0y

This is a tall order I'm sure, but what I mean is the enhancements from nvidia like Shader Execution Reordering and such that made cyberpunk running remotely possible. I hardly glanced at pathtracing before, but now it's a curious thing.

There's an obvious interest and considering even a 3080/3090 can run the game (50-60fps with DLSS ultra performance at 4k so at 720p) surely more interest will come over time. There sure is a status and marketing benefit to being one of the few games to support the feature.

Are there plans with improvements there based on these new technologies?

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  2. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, the hardware requirement for Cyberpunk update is currently different from the scope of Unity which try to reach as much platform as possible. We are looking and excited by the directions all those technologies are going, but have nothing to share about it currently.

3. sacb0y

sacb0y

Well don't wait too long, at least for me I enjoy the visual improvement so much it's pretty much the only way I intend to play this game even without a 4090.

And if I didn't play at 4K it would seemingly still be viable on lower end hardware.
    (1) Cyberpunk 2077 1.62 RayTracing OVERDRIVE | RTX 3070 | Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 1440p - 1080p | Max settings - YouTube

I used to think unity path tracing features were kind of silly until I saw it's kind of viable even for something massive like cyberpunk.

4. Misaki_eKU

Misaki_eKU

There are lots of articles and implementations about ReSTIR on the internet. If you really want to use this tech in your game, you can use those resources to make your own implementation.

sacb0y likes this.
  5. sacb0y

sacb0y

6. m0nsky

m0nsky

sacb0y likes this.
  7. jjejj87

jjejj87

SebLagarde, I respect your work and judgement. But we have to admit that in a few years time, pathtracing will have its place in high fidelity games. Given Unity's track record, why not start now so that Unity will have enough time to polish? It is not like Unity has an alternative or something in the works. That area of business is literally empty and pathtracing itself in HDRP is already respectably good. UE5 will have it soon regardless, so why not take the initiative?

For example, I use path tracing to work with lighting, I turn on path tracing then I turn it off and adjust all raytracing parameters so that it is as close to the pathtracing output. And it got me thinking, given the performance of the current pathtracing implementation, that it is definitely possible. Pathtracing in Unity is actually pretty well done.

Please, kindly give it a second thought. I really think this will bring a different tier of clients to unity.

sacb0y likes this.
  8. sacb0y

sacb0y

Yeah I hope once they get coexistence figured out it becomes a priority. This is a really unexpected turn for the industry, but I'm very interested in it.