Search Unity

Will Patch 5.6.5p4 be the 'ultimate' version of Unity 5.6?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ZJP, May 4, 2018.

1. ZJP

ZJP

Hi,

So?...

2. Lu4e

Lu4e

Relax, this is the final release, give them more time for that.;)

3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

If you managed to move to 5.6 there is nothign keeping you from moving to 2017.4.2

The big step was 5.5 > 5.6

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Licensing is the biggest reason I can think of someone would stay with 5.x.

angrypenguin, Lu4e and Ryiah like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Support for developing games on 32-bit platforms. I know that sounds like crazy talk but there is still a very large portion of the world that is sitting on 32-bit hardware and OSes. Windows XP market share, for example, is still double digit percentile in some parts of the world.

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/china

Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

They only dropped the editor support you can still build the game for x86. No game devs are sitting on x86 hardware or OS :)

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

On the contrary I've had to tell quite a number of developers that newer releases of the editor do not support 32-bit and that they would need to either stick to older releases or purchase newer hardware and/or a newer OS. It's not an every day thing but we're definitely not at that point where they don't exist.

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Come on, no serious company run their business on a none x64 OS. If there is they are regarded as a rounding error in the statistics.

Are you gonna tell me people don't use version control too?

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

I never said "company". It's important to remember too that hardware costs are frequently higher than in the United States and that in some countries a single component that would be very affordable for us can very easily be months if not years of income to afford and that's assuming they spent it on nothing else.

According to the following article the yearly income in India is $616:
    http://www.business-standard.com/ar...lowest-among-brics-gallup-113121600968_1.html

An AMD Ryzen 5 1600X in India costs ₹ 22,500 ($340 USD):
    http://hardwire.in/home/2170-amd-ryzen-5-1600x-36-ghz.html?search_query=Ryzen+5+1600&results=2

That's over six months of income for a single component. Imagine having to afford an entire computer.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    angrypenguin likes this.
  10. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I actually think the number for x86 among hobbyists are also rounding errors to be honest.

Then I think licensing is a bigger reason like suggested above.

That's said 5.6 to 2017.1 was a pretty quick move. And knock on wood 2017.4.2 to 2018.1f2 seems pretty easy too, we had a few shaders that broke plus the substance shebang offcourse. Need to test all the core features in the game a bit more before we are out of the woods though

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

Likewise I never said "hobbyists". Individual to very small studios is the norm with Unity. Ketchapp, for example, has almost 140 games yet they only have five employees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchapp
    https://www.linkedin.com/company/ketchapp

If a developer like @Gigiwoo is able to create a game in twelve weeks with a family imagine what a developer who is single would be able to create (especially if the alternative they're facing is to make a dollar or two a day). Mobile game markets are flooded and continue receiving the quantity of games they do because of people in poor countries.

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I see the world in black and white, if you are on a 32 bit OS or don't use version control, or don't use abstraction in your code you are a hobbyist :)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  13. Ryiah

Ryiah

If a few minutes with Google Search is able to disprove your view of the world you may need to adjust it. :p

angrypenguin likes this.
  14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Third world countries and China make up for that though, plus business operations side of things can be slow slow here in the west. For example I was a consultant at a major bank for many years and IT department got w7 and x64 day one,but the operation side was stuck with XP for many years to come.

Lu4e likes this.
  15. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

looking at the first link reply posted, 5.6.6 should be the ultimate version of 5.6.x

16. Balthamet

Balthamet

Looks like the only double digit one that I can find is China. Even countries that I thought would really be lagging behind like Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Canada, India are all under 5%. China really needs to get with the program and at least have an operating system adoption rate the equivalent of Afghanistan.

Ryiah likes this.
  17. Ryiah

Ryiah

Love how you included Canada. :p

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  18. ZJP

ZJP

Last edited: May 9, 2018
  19. rstorm000

rstorm000

What if they need patches with this?

20. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

You have no clue what you are talking about. There are many companies using xp, windows 2003 server etc... I retired because of the vast array of support that any good developer could not possibly hope to support. This information comes from a Top Security Clearance. I am not bragging but merely stipulating experience I can not give any more detail about.
    I walked away and into Unity. Now this is clustered too.