Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Will new HD pipeline be new quality in rendering?

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by kubawich, Jan 13, 2018.

1. ekakiya

ekakiya

You can rotate anisotropic vecotor with rotating tangent and bitangent vectors, with the current Anisotropic GGX terms of HD pipeline.
    The anisotropy -1 to 1 parameter is not enough, the rotation parameter is useful to add anisotropic variation for the hair lines..I think.

2. discofhc

discofhc

Allright... this weekend i watch the first time that Book of the Dead was shown, at Unite 2017... IMHO, the actual version is improved a lot in all ways, it appears to be another demo!!! Evolution in HD Pipeline is evident since there!
    So please, take all the time that is needed, but keep evolving to bring us that new Unity we are looking forward :)
    And thanks for all the info and transparency!!

3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Looking at the official roadmap, HD renderpipeline will not be in 2018.1, right? I only saw lightweight marked there.

edit-> saw "no ETA" comment, so I guess 2018.2 or .3 then :)

4. JakubSmaga

JakubSmaga

Lightweight is for 2018.1, HD is also in 2018.1 but in experimental, probably coming out later in 2018.

5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

agree but there is no room in the gbuffer for it.
    Also anisotropy is not mean to be use for Hair, Hair will be another shader (This one can't simulate the two highlights you see in hair)

6. sqallpl

sqallpl

Will Orthographic camera mode work with HD pipeline? We are using it from some 3D UI elements.

7. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

So currently it should work with an unlit path (on camera you can select unlit render path), but it shouldn't work with lighting (we haven't really consider to do orthographic lit rendering for HD, not sure about the amount of work this may require for tile/cluster pass to support it)

hippocoder likes this.
  8. Karearea

Karearea

Tried out a stripped-back version of my long term flightsim project with the HD SRP- that procedural sky / fog implementation is fantastic, exactly what I'd been hoping for. Clever using the mipmapping to obscure the horizon line in the fogging up close. I'm also seeing a decent boost in framerate over the same assets in the current deferred pipeline, and while buggy in places (the directional light seems to flick on and off based on the camera direction), the sense of atmosphere is already a vast improvement. Well done!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Peter77 likes this.
  9. sqallpl

sqallpl

Thanks for the reply. So looks like we would need to try to 'fake' orthographic mode with perspective or just prerender the 3d elements and use them as images.

Great to hear that it works out of the box. Would it be possible to simply turn off sky/fog in HD pipeline when project uses third party solution for sky like TrueSky?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  10. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Note: We haven't work on the sky, it is just a port of builtin unity procedural sky + few tricks, but the real work will begin later in the year.

For modifying / injecting your own sky it will require to follow some guidelines (that we haven't documented yet). It is possible but is not just "plug and play". You will require to rewrite the shader to fit into current system.
    Have in mind that we try to have everything unified in HD (fog working on transparent, opaque, and later affect by lighting), thus why the rules are different from Builtin unity.

one_one and DanielDickinson like this.
  11. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

Does this mean volumetric lighting or just global fog tinting based on directional light?

12. kdkd

kdkd

Directional light resolution is capped at 2048, higher value will result in a "Shadow allocation failed in the ReserveFinalize step". Is this a bug?

13. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

you can change the max shadow resolution in your HD pipe Asset

upload_2018-1-31_23-40-52.png

Also, keep in mind that you can't use the max res set here for one light shadow res. You will end up with the same error.

14. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

HD use a shadow atlas to store all the shadow. If the sum of all your shadow doesn't fit into it, the last shadow fail. There is currently no automatic fallback like decrease resolution.

15. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

We aim at supporting a unified lighting framework (in the future). So lighting (sun and others lights), will affect atmospherics scattering (i.e fog) coherently. Allowing to produce light shafts (which are just a consequence of volumetric lighting framework).

16. varfare

varfare

This all sounds great! I am hoping that particles will also be a part of this unified lighting framework? Meaning that emissive medium with HDR color values will be supported. Common example would be fire in an explosion which should not have 0-1 colour values but true HDR values bound with light intensity values. From the sound of it you want to give light intensity of 1 some real-life value and you are also bringing it all into metric system. It would be nice to have particles as a part of this unification process so we (vfx artists) could actually create particles which work in the same dynamic range as level lights do. A nuke is brighter than campfire and jet engine fumes are brighter than sparks.