Search Unity

Will NavMesh/NavMeshComponents ever be updated?

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by malkere, Jun 7, 2019.

1. malkere

malkere

The NavMeshComponents experimental thread is locked, the last post by Jakob was in 2017, and most of the git hasn't been updated in 2-3 years. Was really looking forward to this growing into a much more usable system than it is now.

edit: And/or the NavMesh system as a whole?

Is there something better in the works? Are there updates expected? Or is this just another piece of abandoned/as is technology we should be looking at 3rd party assets to use if the current system falls short of our needs?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    dadude123 likes this.
  2. Yandalf

Yandalf

Right now things are unclear yes, but I remember there being talks about a new navigation system that would be integrated with ECS/DOTS. Unity might've decided to abandon the current system in favor of that. Wouldn't be the only case, they did the same with Unet (they were just a bit more explicit about that case).

3. snacktime

snacktime

There wasn't really much left to add to it. Navmesh components are just wrappers over the existing api's that make working with some features easier.

WIth DOTS there are now job friendly api's but it's the same navmesh system.

4. malkere

malkere

Umm... maybe if you're developing flat, static, pre-baked surfaces, but not all of us are. Some of us have dynamic, open-world, procedural, terrain based games that have always had a handful of problems that have been brought up repeatedly since 2017, but were never addressed by Unity.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/connecting-chunks-of-navmesh.527039/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/runtime-loading-saving-navmesh-data-lol.467885/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/navmeshes-treat-terrain-collider-edges-poorly.521634/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/iss...e-two-runtime-locally-built-navmeshes.517324/

are some of the threads I've participated in.

Probably the majority of their users just don't care, so they don't care either. Very unfortunate for those of us trying to create different things.

5. snacktime

snacktime

You are listing things here that are part of the core navmesh system. Changes for those would be done in the engine. It's not even possible to fix any of that via the navmesh components. Which is why I made the point that the navmesh components are really just convenience wrappers. As you can do everything the navmesh components do directly with the core api.

6. malkere

malkere

Ya, that's true. I bring up components more because it has the async methods that are absolutely necessary for procedural use. The real lacking features are more of the core navmesh system itself. I'll change the title if I can.

7. jRocket

jRocket

I have a few gripes.

1) I would like to have a more generic navigation solution with the ability to supply my own nodes for Unity's A*. I think right now, you're forced to use the triangle based navmesh, but some games may want to navigate in a grid or with arbitrary node positions.

2) NavmeshObstacle carving will carve all navmeshes. I would like to only carve a specific navmesh.

3) The current system does not play nicely with 2D.

dadude123 and malkere like this.
  8. Yandalf

Yandalf

Solid points there. To be honest I am somewhat expecting Unity to buy up and integrate Aron Granberg's A* solution, it seems to take care of most if not all the issues, if talk is to be believed.

malkere likes this.
  9. malkere

malkere

If I could just get something to connect the edges of, literally touching, non-flat navmeshes for agent pathing that would solve 90% of my problems.