Search Unity

Will my APKs still work after UNet is completely deprecated?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by apventures, Aug 2, 2021.

1. apventures

apventures

I read the UNet FAQ and technical blog, but I'm still wondering if my project is affected because it doesn't use servers. I have APKs that use UNet and NetworkDiscovery. It only uses LAN access for matching players. Will this feature be affected by UNet deprecation?

If so, then aside from Mirror API, what are the best options for me?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  2. UnityGio

UnityGio

Hi @apventures. Thanks for writing. All prior UNet applications will continue to work. At some point in the future, we'll eventually bring down the UNet services for Relay and Matchmaking. We'll only do that once our succeeding services are online and ready for production. If you are not using those services for your APK, then you're application will continue to work since there is no dependency on it reaching UNet services for the netcode or transport purposes alone. However, you may come across issues if you try to upgrade your Unity engine version for that APK depending on which Unity Editor version you go with.

Unity 2020.3 LTS has both HLAPI and LLAPI.
    Unity 2021.3 LTS will only have LLAPI.
    Unity 2022.x and beyond will have neither.

For Unity-provided alternatives, please see Netcode for GameObjects (formerly MLAPI) and/or the Unity Transport.

apventures likes this.
  3. apventures

apventures

Thank you!

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Mirror still going strong. NetworkDiscovery is still in there.
    Won't abandon it either :)

apventures likes this.