Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will Media Molecule's Dreams Make Casual or Toilet Games Extinct?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by liquify, Mar 17, 2019.

1. liquify

liquify

Just heard about Media Molecule's Dreams, planned to be released on PS4:

Do you think this will make casual or toilet games extinct? What I mean by toilet games are the simple mobile games that people usually play for maximum fifteen minutes, when they are not busy, usually when commuting or in the restroom.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Good luck carrying your PlayStation 4 into the locations (eg restroom, a carpool/bus/train, a waiting room, etc) you would traditionally carry your time waster games into. If the PlayStation Vita were revived and we could play the games on that it would be a different story. This isn't anything impressive as most people don't just sit in their gaming room with them.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Also I'm willing to bet more people who play games on the toilet own a phone already than a PS4.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'm not sure how a PS4 game is meant to replace a phone game.

Even the switch didn't really make an impact on phone games.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is NMS a toilet game? :p xD

6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It sort of did. The devs that weren’t making mobile free 2 play skinner boxes kinda fled to it. Although there weren’t a lot of them left anyway so the impact wasn’t as big.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I browse this forum among others when I take a dump. S***break browsing, highlight of the day

8. RichardKain

RichardKain

If it were possible to play such a game's micro user-generated experiences on a mobile device? Maybe. But since that is not currently the case, I would have to say no.

I would expect Dreams to be a huge deal when it comes to YouTube. The Playstation 4 already has video sharing built-in from the ground up, and sharing short Dreams projects as YouTube videos is going to be a pretty big deal when the game launches. The toolbox they've put together is going to be fantastic for crafting short sequences that would make for really great YouTube fodder. While there will be plenty of people who get the game and download other people's creations, the streaming side of things will be even bigger, with a lot of creators leaning on the tools in Dreams to make custom on-line content for video consumption.

9. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

When making game development more and more ‘casual’ also known as higher level programming, what you get is a learning curve paradox: as the first learning stages are easier you are bound to simpler less powerful tools, but as you attempt to expand outside what it is offered.. it increasingly becomes a workaround madness, and then you wish you knew lower level programming than the ps4 controller.

I don’t think this competes with casual games market even if you could port it to mobile, which I doubt it as it’s probably a wildly inefficient, especially in the hands of average gamers, mobile still requires optimization... for now at least.

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

With mobile game streaming from platforms like PSnow or Xcloud this will be possible.

However don't expect amazing games.
    The downside with such "3D game maker" (like project Spark) is the the majority of games will be crappy games.
    Because majority players (creators) will not be not 3D artists, or does not have good level design, or will not spend time creating proper animations or polish things enough.

I guess the best games will come from Media Mollecule teams.

11. RichardKain

RichardKain

This is something you get with any media. Leave a piece of chalk by a wall, and someone will scrawl a crude depiction of genitalia on it at some point. You just have to accept that as part of providing the tools for creativity. Are there going to be dicks in Dreams? Absolutely. There are going to be a lot of people who use Dreams almost exclusively for scrawling crude genitalia.

But there are also going to be a lot of people who use the creativity tools they provide to actually make some interesting things. Some of those things will be interactive games. Some will just be visual presentations. Some will be worth seeing, quite a few more won't be. Media Molecule's discoverability and promotion system will determine whether or not we see some of the good stuff float to the top.

While there are going to be some gaming experiences that come out of this, I would expect far more of the output to be centered around 2D art, 3D art, and various visual and musical performance pieces. Those are the more immediate, quick-and-dirty things you could produce with this kind of toolset, so it will account for a larger share of the content. The interactive game content will be much smaller. Still, you could do some pretty remarkable things with Little Big Planet. It would not surprise me to see some fairly advanced stuff in the more ambitious projects.

12. zenGarden

zenGarden

Nothing new that have not been done by indies.

I did not find any games from little big planet was incredible or innovative.
    Not sure you'll find games that reach the quality of indies hand crafted and polished games made with better modeling, sculpting, animation and texturing software.

For example you can't expect the same quality as a game you would make using Substance Designer and Painter.
    About gameplay, it's weird floating physics a bit like Little Big Planet, instead they should have provided polished tps and fps character controllers also.

Anyway, it will be more like some game maker to make small games experiences, similar to Spark , Roblox or Minecraft. Don't expect to find lot of amazing games LOL