Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Will it support animations?

Discussion in 'Physics Previews' started by TheCelt, May 31, 2019.

1. TheCelt

TheCelt

If i have a predefined animation like a windmill rotating around a point, how will this link to the physics system? Documentation doesn't really go into that much detail on it at the moment.

2. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Physics system has components. What physic component do you need to your game object? You do not need physics joint at the centre of your windmill or forces because you are animating the mesh. Probably you will use a capsule collider attached to the blade of your animation. Take a course specific physics system to understand how components work. Here there is one: https://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/unity-fundamentals/physics
    If you need both animation and physics, you can make the rotation using animation and if something collides with the blade then trigger the physics system and disconnect the animation.

3. TheCelt

TheCelt

Well with normal rigid bodies i would just apply a velocity or angular velocity to it - or use animation controller and enable physics to the animation.

But does unity physics allow that? Because i need the animations to be deterministic as well across clients otherwise this unity physics system is a bit useless for multiplayer at the moment.

That link is also not relevant, im asking specifically about this experimental unity physics system - not regular unity physics which i know how to use perfectly well.

AlanMattano likes this.