Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will google daydream be released on October 4th or only announced?

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by wojwen, Sep 28, 2016.

1. wojwen

wojwen

As in question I'm wondering if it will be released or only announced on the conference. Also does anybody know for how long we will be able to join DAP(Developer Access Program)? Is the deadline on Oct 4th or later?

2. nathanmartz

nathanmartz

Official Google Employee

We'll announce more specifics on dates in the not too distant future, but you can apply to the DAP now!

wojwen likes this.
  3. wojwen

wojwen

Thanks for the answer!
    Great!
    Sure, but there are features that I want to add into the game before recording gameplay and applying to DAP, but I don't know if it's worth to wait. Will "more specifics on dates" clarify it?

4. 00christian00

00christian00

Hi Nathan,
    On that video at minute 9', he says Nougat will support 6DOF navigation but that it's not available on any Android device yet. Will Daydream devices have it?
    What is the missing sensor? A depth camera like project Tango?

Selzier and Tuitive like this.
  5. kestom

kestom

What should I have to get to google conference 4th October?

6. Selzier

Selzier

I'm curious about this as well. I worked with Intel to develop a 6dof Google Cardboard VR experience using their Tango/realsense phablet. There is also the upcoming Lenovo Phab 2 Pro with Tango built in.

The idea is cool, but there's a lot of issues which make it a bad VR experience. Out of the box, Tango was pulling data at 4 hertz (6dof data updated at 4 FPS), so a 60FPS vr game felt awful using Tango. Boosting the Tango refresh up to 30 or 60 FPS made phone overheat quickly.

Realsense was used for close up hand tracking, similar to Leap Motion. All the same problems, trying to get any valuable data at 60FPS was impossible from the mobile realsense sensor, and just added to the already dooming thermal issues.

Seeing some info about new ways to achieve 6DOF in mobile VR will be very exciting.

7. mebalzer

mebalzer

@Selzier email me at mebalzer@neodivr.com . If you feel Project Tango is too slow, would you be interested testing out a different tracking system in the near future? It would require an NDA, but I think you will find it exciting.

Selzier likes this.