Search Unity

Will Goldstone 4.0 book?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Jadestar, May 6, 2013.

1. Jadestar

Jadestar

Hi there. I've been hearing amazing things about Will Goldstone's book on Unity 3.x and want to get into but but i'm wondering if he has plans to release a book on 4.0. I've heard that a lot of stuff from that book is still relevent to Unity 4.0 but if im already spending 50 bux, i'd rather spend it on something more current rather than having to translate how the instructions for 3.x go to 4.0 and given the complexity of Unity already, I think that would be better. I've tried to go through tutorials on the learning section that are apparently brand new, but they look like they were also made for 3.x which makes it very confusing to try and follow.

Thanks.

2. outtoplay

outtoplay

Don't distract Will. He needs to focus on finishing up the Learning section tuts first. No one appreciates a job 1/2 done...:cool:

3. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Too late! I'm working on both. To be clear - a team is working on the Unity stuff, I'm working on my book in my own time... what little of that exists! ;) Lots of amazing stuff coming up in Unity 4.x so its getting tougher / more interesting to write all the time..

I would like to mention my 3.x book does work fine in 4.x as is mentioned by many readers feeding back and with the updates on the book's site http://unitybook.net you will be able to use it just fine right now. My new book is to include a bunch of new features and some changes to how the systems work, as well as new art work if I can find someone to help with that! (not an artist!)

4. Jadestar

Jadestar

Somehow my reply to this got lost. Thats exciting that you are doing both, great work. I was a little confused on the learn section, for example I see this. Checked with version: 3.5 Difficulty: Beginner Date: 10 Apr 2013

So looking at this beginner tutorial, it was written very recently but for version 3.5? I'm a bit confused as to why there are new tutorials being designed for an old version of unity. I tried to get started with the stealth tutorial that is apparently new but I was a little discouraged when starting off, it already wasnt the same screen as the free version of unity 4 that i downloaded. THis is why I wanted to wait for a 4.0 book.

Do you have an ETA on your book at all? If its a long ways away then I might just buy the 3.x version anyway. Is it still possible to get the free/paid version of Unity 3.5 so I can follow the book easier and then transfer my skills to 4.0 once i'm more familiar?

Thanks

5. Beennn

Beennn

6. Kalmak

Kalmak

Your book is required for my intro game class so hurry up so I can update :D

7. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hi, no i'm afraid it won't be any time soon. The current book works fine with 4.x and the updates are listed on http://unitybook.net!

8. Jadestar

Jadestar

Thanks for the reply. I will definately get the 3.x book then and maybe ill just download the free version of unity 3.x to start off with so its easier to follow and once I have some experience, AND your new book is out, then ill get 4.x.

Thanks again.

9. RaduRex

RaduRex

any news on a 4.x book, mr goldstone?

10. golazodave

golazodave

^ I'd also like to know if there's any news - I'd pounce on a 4.x version of the book in a flash!