Search Unity

Will ECS/Jobs work with WebGL?

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by Arowx, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Arowx

Arowx

Just tried building to WebGL and the game built without error but did not run correctly.

I think that WebGL/WASM does not have a working native threading system yet, however the potential throughput of ECS even on a single thread could still make it useful for WebGL development.

Also wasn't there a demo of a micro version of Unity built on ECS that built to Web?

deus0 likes this.
  2. zulfajuniadi

zulfajuniadi

Threading in the browser is done via [webworkers] which is a part of the HTML5 specification which can run side by side with WebGL. It is supported on [most] browsers today. I'm sure Unity is working on getting that implemented.

There is a micro version of Unity aptly named Utiny in the works which does feature ECS to be the core part of it. It's targeted for games delivered through messaging apps. Theres more about that in [this] video.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    deus0 likes this.
  3. 5argon

5argon

4. zulfajuniadi

zulfajuniadi

"Shared memory can be created and updated simultaneously in workers or the main thread" yeah sounds like NativeArray alright :). Thanks for that

deus0 and 5argon like this.
  5. deus0

deus0

Any progress here? Daym webgl is dead rip~

6. Arowx

Arowx

Old thread from 2018 -> 2019.1 - Unity Forum

7. starikcetin

starikcetin

@deus0
    WebGL is not going anywhere anytime soon, but I expect WebGPU to eventually replace it some unknown time in the future.

deus0 likes this.
  8. deus0

deus0

It's been dead since I adopted a multi core cpu lol. I am needing that multithread support for it to work with ECS!