Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Will DOTS Animation's state machine be "generic" like Playables?

Discussion in 'DOTS Animation' started by PhilSA, Sep 26, 2019.

1. PhilSA

PhilSA

It's a bit of a random question but here it goes:

I heard from the roadmap talk that even though DOTS Animation will be available during 2019.3, the state machine stuff arrives later. This made me think about something: will that state machine system be "generic" enough to be used for any other thing aside from animation that may require the notion of a state with time, speed, blending, transitions, etc.... ?

I'm imagining something where each state is an Entity, and you can add your own components to those state entities so if you need state time/speed for any sort of custom logic, you can access it like that. Sort-of like how Playables work

JesOb, NotaNaN and Abbrew like this.
  2. pal_trefall

pal_trefall

I'm sure you already looked at the DOTS Animation on staging, that was updated late June? It shows a UNode framework that might be related to this.
    https://bintray.com/unity/unity-staging/com.unity.animation

I have not looked at it enough yet, been putting in time on Netcode and learning good DOTS practices instead, until more examples/docs come around.

florianhanke likes this.
  3. PhilSA

PhilSA

Just to clarify, I'm mostly looking forward to a code-based generic state machine API. The visual editor could just be built on top of it

florianhanke and pal_trefall like this.
  4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Have you looked at the Dots visual scripting?

State machines are being worked on there, not sure how much of it has landed in the early previews...

Ofx360, pal_trefall and PhilSA like this.